PDA

View Full Version : PM2000 50 inch extention legs Anyone install casters on them?

Rich Johnson
04-23-2011, 8:18 PM
I have the PM2000 and what a gem. I put a 25 foot extention cord on it and can roll around the garage at will. I am looking to put rollers on the extention table legs(locking) but havnt found what im looking for. The extention table legs do wabble when you roll the unit and I dont want to damage where they bolt into the table top. Has anyone tried this idea? Maybe the source of your rollers?

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-23-2011, 9:04 PM
Mobility kits are made just for that. One will set you back a couple hundred bucks but effectively makes the saw and extension one unit.
Check out any catalog.
faust

John McClanahan
04-23-2011, 11:52 PM
You really need a mobile base that supports the saw and extension legs as a single unit, not separate rollers on the legs. As Faust says, they cost over $200. I have a PM 66 and know what you are talking about.

John

Chip Lindley
04-24-2011, 12:01 AM
...I am looking to put rollers on the extention table legs(locking) but havnt found what im looking for. The extention table legs do wabble when you roll the unit and I dont want to damage where they bolt into the table top. Has anyone tried this idea? Maybe the source of your rollers?

Mobility kits are made just for that. One will set you back a couple hundred bucks but effectively makes the saw and extension one unit. Check out any catalog.
faust

Rich, simply adding casters, regardless of quality, to the outboard legs of a long TS table extension is less than desirable unless your shop floor is dead flat and you will not be moving the saw elsewhere.

When I built a mobile stand for my PM66, stability and lack of flex were my prime concerns. None of the available mobile bases from Delta, HTC or importers were sturdy enough for my liking. I also wished for an unobstructed area beneath the extension base free of foot pedals or any other paraphernalia, so a drawer bank could be slid into that space and be well supported.

So, I made my own! 3" steel channel and 3" steel angle were welded into an unflexing frame. Outboard caster brackets were attached level with the top of the channel. A PM leg set was modified to allow adjusting the entire extension table level with the saw table. It works! And it cost less than $50--not $several $hundred.

Now I have this:

Not something like this:

John Lifer
04-24-2011, 8:54 AM
Yes I did! Found some chair casters with inserts that fit the square tubing. Well, my concrete floor has variations right where I use my saw. Works. I move mine 4-5 feet whenever I need to get a car into shop and the casters make it easier, but not the best solution. I really need some sort of height adjustment. You have to adjust to be barely touching at one point to keep from tearing them off.

Charlie Barnes
04-24-2011, 9:15 AM
Rich,

The floor in my old garage shop was pretty flat, so I was able to install nylon furniture slides under the legs on the extension table. I slightly shortened the legs by the thickness of the slides to try to maintain the table's flatness relative to the saw. I'm sure my floor wasn't perfect, but I never noticed any issues with the minor variation in height that I'm sure was there. Having said this, I really like Chip's frame above. Fortunately, I was able to move into a larger dedicated space last year and don't plan on moving my saw for normal operations.

Charlie