PDA

View Full Version : Tool rest issue

Richard Dooling
04-23-2011, 7:44 PM
How tight are the tolerances for the tool rest post diameter to the toll rest body (banjo?).

I have the HF 34706 12" lathe - yeah, I know:rolleyes:.

I purchase a new tool rest and the post is a full 1" dia. where the HF is slightly under. Without thoroughly thinking it out I bored the HF to accept the new post. Now the existing tool rests are a little sloppy.

How much is too much. Would I be better off getting a replacement? And no, a new lathe is not an option at this time.

Thanks

Brian Libby
04-23-2011, 7:47 PM
As long as the tool rest tightens firmly and there is no wiggle it should be ok.

Roger Chandler
04-23-2011, 7:51 PM
As long as the tool rest tightens firmly and there is no wiggle it should be ok.

+1 what Brian said!

Fred Belknap
04-23-2011, 7:59 PM
I have had to bore out two grizzly banjos to get a 1" tool post to fit. I never have a problem using the original tool rest. I think it is metric inch, like it might be 25mm or maybe 26mm.:p

John Keeton
04-23-2011, 8:15 PM
Richard, when I bought additional rests for my 34706, I just took a file and a few swipes on the 1" posts and they worked fine. But, too late for that now!

Richard Dooling
04-24-2011, 12:25 PM
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. It lets me see what an a** I can be:rolleyes:

Well the temporary fix at least is to wrap the loose original posts with a single layer of soda can aluminum. It's tight and right without binding.

I'm leaning towards replacing the banjo with the Jet 1236 banjo if that's better made.