PDA

View Full Version : Planer question for new purchase

Patrick Galpin
04-23-2011, 5:08 PM
I am going to be purchasing a 20" planer and would welcome feedback on a regular straight blade bs the newer curved cylinder cutting heads. The straight edge unit us 5 hp vs 3 hp for the curved cutting head. Thanks for the comments in advance.

Paul Incognito
04-23-2011, 5:12 PM
Since I got a Byrd head for my DeWalt I swore that when the time comes to upgrade my jointer and planer I'll never go back to straight knives. It's that good.
Paul

David Kumm
04-23-2011, 5:36 PM
Are talking about a helical head with inserts or a curved knife head? Assuming the planer itself is of similar quality, yes to the helical, no to the curved knife. I would not skimp on the quality of the machine to afford the head however. 3 hp is too small for a 20". I think the helical actually needs more power than the straight knife. Dave

Robert Chapman
04-23-2011, 6:06 PM
I agree with David. The helical head is the way to go particularly if you are planing any figured wood.

Patrick Galpin
04-23-2011, 6:12 PM
Sorry, wrote the question on my handheld while waiting for my wife shopping, it is a spiral cutter head with 98 carbide inserts, thanks for comments so far

Jonathan Spool
04-23-2011, 8:51 PM
I have helical heads on both my jointer and planer. Quiet, and almost no tearout ever.

David Kumm
04-23-2011, 8:53 PM
Patrick, Just to be clear, the big old planers with a built in grinder, like the Buss and Whitney produced a finish second to none with straight knives. In today's world the tersa system gives as good a finish with quick changes as any. Helical cutterheads are great because they are easy to change- except the oliver ITCH head knives- and don't tear out wood as easily. It is really because planers are not built to the standards of the old cast iron machines that the helical heads have become more necessary. Most Martin planers use the tersa head, but they are built to deliver a finish like the old planers. This is not relevant to your decision, but we tend to forget the $1000+ head is a way to get the results of a much more expensive planer. Dave

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-23-2011, 9:01 PM
Too bad you are so far away. I have a 20" Bridgewood industrial planer I would sell and I have both cutter heads for it. The straight blade head is in the unit and the helical is still in the crate.
faust

glenn bradley
04-23-2011, 9:59 PM
As Paul (and I am sure others) said; once I got a spiral on my jointer, my planer upgrade demanded one. I'll never willingly go back to a knifed machine. Just the cutter life is a driving factor let alone the finish on the highly figured material I use. No more pieces hitting the scrap bin due to tearout. Just my .02.