PDA

View Full Version : Turning room in garage

Alan Tolchinsky
04-23-2011, 4:46 PM
Hi All, I'm going to build a small turning room in my garage and put in a small a/c unit. It's going to be about 10' x 15' and I'm using 2x4 construction with walls and ceiling insulated. My question is what wall material would you use? I'm trying to decide between OSB (oriented strand board) and drywall. I think I would just paint the drywall but no taping/mudding etc. For the OSB I would just prime and paint also. I'm thinking the drywall would cut easier than OSB. Which do you think you'd go with? Thanks!

Roger Chandler
04-23-2011, 4:50 PM
The OSB would give you the ability to put shelves and other storage needs in any configuration you like as you could put screws into the osb and with the drywall you would have to make certain to hit a stud in order to have a secure hold. Drywall would be cheaper, and is not hard to install either.

philip labre
04-23-2011, 4:51 PM
i used T111 siding that were factory seconds. Its OSB with a wood grain texture and grooves sprayed with vinyl. I just painted it white to reflect the light. Reason I used it instead of drywall was the ability to put a screw wherever I wanted to hang light things. Heavy items I sink into a stud.

David E Keller
04-23-2011, 5:03 PM
I use OSB on my walls for the same reasons already mentioned... The exception for me was that I used several layers of drywall on the separate room for my dustcollector for sound reduction.

Brian Libby
04-23-2011, 5:11 PM
I also went with OSB so as to have more options for shelving and if anything hits the wall there is probably going to be less damage!
Also put 2 coats of white primer, makes things much brighter!

Michael Mills
04-23-2011, 7:20 PM
Slightly different but, … you may want to get a good quality pegboard also. Most chain stores have panel cutters to rip it with lengthwise. Install your bottom sheet of wall covering horizontally, then a 2’ wide strip of pegboard, then top it off with another 2’ of your wall covering. My shop is 16X24 so I have 80’ of pegboard at a convenient height around the entire perimeter of the shop (it is 95% full after 25 years).

Dennis Simmons
04-23-2011, 7:24 PM
OSB, you can hang stuff any where with a screw, I agree with the white primer for light reflection, that Brian suggested.

Alan Tolchinsky
04-23-2011, 8:01 PM
Hey thanks guys. What did you use to fasten the OSB?

John Hart
04-23-2011, 8:02 PM
My previous shop was drywall, and my current shop is OSB (unpainted). The drywall always looked dirty and I was constantly wiping it down. Plus, I had to hit a stud to hang stuff.
Current shop...the OSB doesn't look dirty because you can't see the glaze of sawdust....and I can hang anything I want.

Brian Libby
04-23-2011, 8:21 PM
Alan, I used 8d galvanized nails to fasten OSB.
I had about 30 pounds worth from another project.

Tom Wilson66
04-23-2011, 9:08 PM
OSB without a doubt. Drywall gets too many holes needing patching from flying objects.

James Combs
04-23-2011, 9:16 PM
I used white faced 1/4" hardboard, stays clean better then drywall yet is strong enough for light hangings. I will find a stud for heavy items. Put it up with staple gun and 3/4" staples. Quick and clean.

Harry Robinette
04-23-2011, 10:01 PM
Alan
My shops in the basement so I put 4 x 8 sheets of OSB from the ceiling 4' down with white paint for the lights I wouldn't go over 16" centers or it will start to warp.
Also I would do the outside in dry wall and insulate the stud bays it will help with heat and cooling but also sound.If you have a dust collector you might want to put it outside your room in its own small room so the cooled and heater air can flow back in but it well really cut down on noise.

Clint Baxter
04-23-2011, 10:19 PM
I went with OSB when I did mine for most of the afore mentioned reasons. I also got a deal on the OSB where I bought it for what it would have cost for 1/2 drywall.:D I used drywall screws to put it up. Little bit more work to cut than drywall, but nothing you're not able to whip out with pretty much any type saw.

Clint

Rich Aldrich
04-24-2011, 9:41 AM
I have a shop that was built in two stages. The first was 20 x 28. It has drywall. The addition is 20 x 24 and has OSB. OSB or some type of wood sheet is the way to go in my opinion because you can hang anything anywhere without having to worry about a stud.

When I first built my shop (1999), drywall was expensive because of the housing market booming. I almost went with tongue and groove pine because it was about the same price from a local sawmill at wholesale price. Shiplap is another option but might not look as good as sheeting.

Alan Tolchinsky
04-25-2011, 9:25 AM
Thanks all so much for the replies. It looks like OSB is the way to go. I'll post a pic once I get it going.

Michelle Rich
04-25-2011, 9:31 AM
my only concern for a garage is dampness..the concrete is hdroscopic and can radiate lots of moisture, I would use whatever I needed to if I had moisture issues...other than that, anything goes.

Prashun Patel
04-25-2011, 9:40 AM
I installed 5/8 OSB last year, and am pleased. Cabinets are hung from studs, but for all manner of hooks and racks, the osb holds fine.

I attached with decking screws.

John Hart
04-25-2011, 10:29 AM
my only concern for a garage is dampness..the concrete is hdroscopic and can radiate lots of moisture, I would use whatever I needed to if I had moisture issues...other than that, anything goes.

I've found that a light coating of woodshavings helps with the moisture of the concrete floor. I try to keep an approximate shavings thickness to around 12 feet. After that...it's just too cumbersome. ;)

Harry Robinette
04-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Alen
Put down plastic sheet then2 x4 on there side, stirayfoam sheet between 1 /2" ply on top.GReat for moister control and much better for your back and legs. Or get those heavy 2x2 squares of rubber that interlock.You can buy them for about $9.00 per 4 square pack.I started with them only infront of my lathe And have keep adding till now,my whole floor is covered.