PDA

View Full Version : 1" X 12" X 16' skirt board

Kelly Bowe
04-23-2011, 4:09 PM
Hello All,

I am in processs of trimming the stairs to my basement and need 1" X 12" X 16' clear pine to use for skirt boards. I would like to use one 16 foot piece to avoid the seam that results from using two 8 foot pieces. I am in the western suburbs of chicago. Does anyone know where to find 1" X 12" X 16' clear pine in the area?

Thank in advance for your help/advice.

Richard Wolf
04-23-2011, 8:24 PM
Not sure what you can find in your area, but you may have an easier time looking for southern yellow pine or poplar.

Clisby Clark
04-23-2011, 9:27 PM
First, of the stairs I've done, I have been able to use a 1x10 for the skirt instead of 1x12.

Second. Check your local Building Supply (not L/HD) to see if they have a finger jointed product in the size you need (assuming you're painting). When you get solid wood that wide and long, the chances of finding a straight/flat board for the entire lenght are slim to say the least.

Third, what about MDF? I know those are bad letters on a wood forum, but it's flat, comes in 16 foot lenghts of 1x12, and paints great.

Finally, if you are dead set on solid wood, go to a local cabinetmaker and see if he can order you a S4S board from his supplier, specifying you need as flat as possible. Good luck!