PDA

View Full Version : With pressure treated wood what

Alan Tolchinsky
04-15-2003, 10:31 PM
has been your experience with painting it? I'm replacing some rotting wood on my house . Is there any other type of wood you'd recommend to replace the rotten 1x pine. I've heard pressure treated wood doesn't paint well and I have to paint it brown. Any other ideas? Thanks Alan in Md.

Dennis McDonaugh
04-15-2003, 10:53 PM
Alan, I've had good luck painting it, but it takes some time. First, you have to let it dry...a long time. I usually let it sit at least 3-4 weeks in the summer, longer if its cool or damp. The key is to make sure its good and dry. Use a good primer like Kilz before you paint and it should last a long time.

John Miliunas
04-15-2003, 11:00 PM
Alan, I've had some pretty good luck with White Oak, using a heavy oil-based solid color stain. It's even on the South side of the house, with absolutely zero shade. Holding up real well. As a matter of fact, the sawyer I bought it from, highly recommended it and says he's used it successfully on outside trim for many years. Needless to say, YMMV. :cool:

Bob Boake
04-15-2003, 11:09 PM
Consider cedar for outdoor use. Less expensive than hardwoods and takes paint well. Commonly used in exterior home const for trim and siding.

Tom Gattiker
04-16-2003, 8:27 AM
is often a problem for painting. If you want to use PT, you could consider one of the new opaque stains. I'd consider another species, like others mentioned.

Alan Tolchinsky
04-16-2003, 11:45 AM
I'll probably go with cedar or something else besides pressure treated. I understand there is air dried PT made that can be painted right away and I'll look for that also. Thanks again. Alan in Md. ( All this work is taking away from all the fun stuff: WW'ing) :(