PDA

View Full Version : Backsaw questions/Gramercy sash saw

Noah Vig
04-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Hi,

Just getting started with handsaws. I currently have a disston rip handsaw, unknown coping saw, a superior crosscut handsaw and a newer stanley miter box type backsaw all of which were my grandpa's.

I am looking to get a dovetail saw, sash sized crosscut and rip tenon saw or dovetail saw and the Gramercy Sash saw kit. I don't have questions about the dovetail saw as have read plenty of threads about those.

Has anyone tried the Gramercy Sash Saw? I see it is filed for both rip and crosscut and am wondering if I would be better off getting it and a dovetail saw only. I couldn't find posts about the sash saw kit.

The LV carcass saw set is interesting but I am thinking I would prefer larger saws.

The saws would be for furniture.

Any advice or experience with the gramercy sash saw? Would a saw filed in this manner be hard for me to sharpen later compared to ones filed for crosscut or rip only?

Thanks, Noah

Joel Moskowitz
04-23-2011, 1:54 PM
1 - in the 18th and early 19th century the sash saw was one of the most common styles around. It's big enough to do just about everything well, except small dovetails.

2- in the 18th and early 19th century file saws with very little rack and some fleam gave a saw that did well both rip and xcut on hardwood. that's why we file our saws this way. On softwood - like pine and other woods used for constructions a higher fleam angle would be better, but that's not what this saw is for. Because it is hand filed the saw cuts smoother than a machine filed saw of the same configuration.

3 - sharpening it isn't a big deal - easier than a fine tooth dovetail saw, but like anything else it takes practice. We do offer a sharpening service for our saws.

4 - If you don't like the saw you can always return it.

Joel
(guy who sells the saws)

Noah Vig
04-24-2011, 6:17 AM
Joel,

Thanks for the reply. Will order one later today. Noah