PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Jointer/Planer G0634 Motor Problem

steven sherman
04-23-2011, 11:42 AM
The machine is approximately 2 1/2 years old. I last used it 2 weeks ago ( or less) and it worked fine.

When I started the jointer, it started slowly then proceeded to work normally. I smelled a faint burning odor and shut the machine down. I then tried to start it again and it started slowly then shuts down ( never got up to speed). It will not re-start immediatel, but after 30 seconds the same thing happens. The motor starts slowly, then shuts down.

I reset the breakers (2 -30 amp) and checked voltage at the outlet, which is fine.

Taking the motor out of the machine is a real pain. I had to do it when I first got the machine because the starter contacts were not installed correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Ken Fitzgerald
04-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Steve,

It sure sounds like the start capacitor on the motor has gone bad.

The only way to tell would to remove the start capacitor cover on the motor, see if it shows signs of leaking electrolyte, swelling etc. Don't turn it on/off more than necessary as you could end up damaging the motor.

steven sherman
04-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Ken:

I removed the capacitor cover and it looked fine. I think it was the run capacitor and not the start capacitor, it was marked 50u.

Can the start capacitor be located beneath the fan housing? Thanks

Steve

Found the starter capacitor under connection cover. I will try to replace. Thanks again

Ken Fitzgerald
04-23-2011, 2:06 PM
Steve,

Was there some visual indications that the start capacitor had failed?

steven sherman
04-23-2011, 4:14 PM
Ken:

There was a white sticky substance on the indside of the cover. I have not done a thorough investigation, but I think that that is it.

I ordered the part from Grizzly and will let you know.

Thanks

Steve

Ken Fitzgerald
04-23-2011, 5:26 PM
I'd say that would be a good place to start. The electrolyte/white sticky substance is pretty good evidence.

If it's like electrolyte was 40 years ago, it can be some interesting stuff to clean off too. I had lightning run in on a piece of equipment used in the meteorology office at a naval air station. Every capacitor in that piece of equipment blew up. There was quite a few capacitors in it. It took a few weeks to get all the replacement parts and it took about that long and some really tough solvents to clean the chassis off too!

steven sherman
05-07-2011, 5:21 PM
I replaced teh start capacitor and the machine worked fine...

Thanks for your help

glenn bradley
05-07-2011, 6:40 PM
Great news and thanks for following up. This post will be of value for others with 'cap' problems.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-07-2011, 7:33 PM
Steve,

Glad that resolved the issue!

steven sherman
05-10-2011, 7:07 PM
Unfortunately, this did not resolve the problem. I started to use the jointer and wouldn't restart without having the same issues.

I called grizzly tech support and they informed me it was the contact points inside the motor housing. I removed the motor,then cleaning the contact points had a spare start capacitor ( same mfd and volts grizzly shipped wrong one first ). The start capacitor i intially replaced also failed. I tested the motor a couple of times and it started and stopped fine.

I ordered new contact points and another start capacitor. I hope this is the end of the thread....

steven sherman
05-21-2011, 7:06 PM
I received the contact points and start capacitor. Replaced both and finally we are back in business.