PDA

View Full Version : 22-560 Planer belt replacement

Dave Beauchesne
04-22-2011, 11:41 PM
OK, another question.

I have a 22-560 12 1/2'' Delta portable planer - need to replace the drive belt. I don't have the manual, but one post I read says to remove the cutterhead pulley, loop the new belt around the motor and follower pulleys and ( more or less ) force it on the cutterhead.
It is real close, but I don't want to screw up the aluminum cutterhead pulley.

I found a manual for the 12 inch version, but no hints in it as to belt re and re.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Regards;

Dave Beauchesne

mickey cassiba
04-23-2011, 1:04 AM
Something we did in the refurb shop, was to heat the belts...ala bandsaw tires in very hot water. It will allow a little more elasticity and as the belt cools, it will shrink back to its original size. Work fast and watch your fingers!

Dave Beauchesne
04-23-2011, 7:44 AM
Mickey:

I thought of that, but being a small, multi-grooved ' vee ' belt, it has a bunch of reinforcing fibres in it - stretching is not an option IMO.

Will see if there are any more suggestions out there!

Thanks;

Dave Beauchesne

Don Jeansonne
04-26-2011, 10:55 AM
I have replaced the bearings on my 22-560. I just was able to work the belt over the pulley with a screw driver blade and rolling the pulleys. I didn't have much of a problem. Just watch for pinching your fingers.
I will go back and check my manual to see if they recommend some pocedure.

Dave Beauchesne
05-07-2011, 12:55 AM
Mickey / Don:

Thanks for the suggestions !

I got a hold of the Delta factory authorized repair depot in Vancouver, and the process he uses is along the lines of what Mickey said. The have the belt in a pot of boiling water to heat it up and roll it on.

Since it is still cool here, I got my son to pre-heat the pulleys to warm with a hot air gun ( so they would not chill the hot belt too quickly ) and then rolled it on in a couple of steps. Wore some leather gloves to minimize the pinch potential. Went pretty smoothly.
Now to re-assemble the rest of it - - - - -

Dave Beauchesne

mickey cassiba
05-07-2011, 3:41 AM
Dave, I'm glad it worked out for you. And relieved to see that the SC techs are using/suggesting the proper techniques. Some of our worst rehabs came from the service centers. Heat expansion is different from stretching.
Mick