PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia maple

David E Keller
04-22-2011, 11:18 PM
I loaned my monster system to another turner for a few days, and when he brought it back to my shop, he wanted me to do a little hollowing while he watched. I told him to pick out a chunk of wood from the stash, and I'd give it a spin. He picks up a piece of ambrosia maple that Stephen Walker was kind enough to send me a while back(Thanks!:D), and this is the result.

It's a little under 6 inches tall, and the collar is African blackwood with a little spiral texturing from a homemade chatter tool. It's sanded dry to 400 then wet sanded with BLO at 600... A coat of shellac then several coats of WOP to finish things up. I inserted the rough collar into the finished form while still on the lathe then turned it to completion... This thing is like a drum, so I had to have the guy hold his finger against the top of the form to keep the noise down!

After seeing JK's 'ashes' post, I think this form might have some urn application.

Comments and criticism appreciated.

Curt Fuller
04-22-2011, 11:31 PM
It's hard form me to decide if this form makes the wood look great or if the wood makes the form look great. Whatever, it's a great departure from the standard hollowform. I like it a lot and it really shows off the wood. And I think it would make a great urn.

Bill Bolen
04-23-2011, 1:33 AM
What a great piece David! Love the form and boy does that wood have a lot of action.

neil mackay
04-23-2011, 1:59 AM
The form certainly shows of the best of the grain structure, well done.

Mike Cruz
04-23-2011, 2:27 AM
Very cool! I almost wouldn't have known that was maple... I bet your friend was impressed, too.

Kathy Marshall
04-23-2011, 2:32 AM
Beautiful piece David! I really like the form and the wood is great!

Hayes Rutherford
04-23-2011, 2:44 AM
Wow David, you must be eatin raisins and Everclear!! Good one

Dan Forman
04-23-2011, 4:26 AM
The wood is outstanding and works well with the form. I've got to try one with a sharp shoulder.

Dan

John Keeton
04-23-2011, 6:56 AM
David, I love the look of spalted Ambrosia maple!! I have several pieces with this color, and the BLO application just really brings it out. This is a great piece!! And, in my digging around for ideas on urns, I actually saw a few with this general shape, and I think it works perfectly. As a bonus, this shape would probably lend itself to a larger volume than a standard vase shape. One might be able to get by with less height - making the hollowing a little more doable.

Michelle Rich
04-23-2011, 7:05 AM
Love the form! love the wood..and yes it would be a very cool urn. this is just superb

John Hart
04-23-2011, 7:16 AM
It's hard form me to decide if this form makes the wood look great or if the wood makes the form look great.....

My thoughts exactly. Well done sir!! :)

philip labre
04-23-2011, 7:25 AM
David, great piece!! Great form, wood and really like the collar with the texture.

Tony De Masi
04-23-2011, 7:37 AM
Real nice piece David and the finish is wonderful too. Gives me some ideas for all the AM I have except I don't have a hollowing system. Are you still loaning out yours?:D

Tim Thiebaut
04-23-2011, 7:54 AM
Curt F said it perfectly, very nicely done! That is a beautiful piece of wood!

Roland Martin
04-23-2011, 7:58 AM
I like this David. The form is a little different in respect to the sharp top transition and it works well. Great color and grain on the ambrosia. Nice work.

Pete Jordan
04-23-2011, 8:06 AM
You really nailed it!!!

David E Keller
04-23-2011, 9:55 AM
Thanks, folks! This is one of the few things I've turned that my wife actually likes.

Wow David, you must be eatin raisins and Everclear!! Good one

Actually, just Everclear.... I gave up raisins for Lent!

Steve Schlumpf
04-23-2011, 10:04 AM
I really like the contemporary form! Beautiful wood - for sure - but also like how you blended the collar into the form as opposed to having it sit on top! Nice touch with the subtle texturing on the collar also! Bet your friend learned a few things watching you hollow this one!

Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Bernie Weishapl
04-23-2011, 10:25 AM
David that is a great piece. I do like the form and finish. The wood has a lot going on. Well done.

Alan Trout
04-23-2011, 10:30 AM
I like playing with shape myself and I think this one turned out great. I think the form is great and the blackwood collar does nothing but compliment the piece. Well Done.

Alan.

Michael James
04-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Nice piece for any application. Different enough to stand out - artistic, and finished very nicely.

Sid Matheny
04-23-2011, 10:43 AM
What more could one ask for! A++

Sid

Roger Chandler
04-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Nice form David, and great wood............I hope your friend was watching well, because this is a good example of what can be done.

Baxter Smith
04-23-2011, 8:05 PM
Great job David out of some very pretty wood. I roughed out a somewhat similar cherry burl piece last spring that is ready to be finished when I get around to it. Was thinking finial but perhaps a similar style collar might be appropriate. Thanks for sharing!

John Hart
04-23-2011, 8:18 PM
I thought about this form all day today out in the shop. I think I'm in love with it.:o

I tried lacquer...but it didn't help. I don't have any everclear or raisins.....

Do I need psychiatric help?:rolleyes:

Scott Hackler
04-23-2011, 8:21 PM
Really nice David. I like the form and the wood... well who wouldn't like that. Another great job.

David E Keller
04-23-2011, 8:47 PM
Thanks everybody!

I thought about this form all day today out in the shop. I think I'm in love with it.:o

I tried lacquer...but it didn't help. I don't have any everclear or raisins.....

Do I need psychiatric help?:rolleyes:

I think the answer to your question is obvious, but it has nothing to do with this piece.:D At least you're not alone in your need for mental health services... Takes one to know one I think.

I think the reason you may like this is that it's basically the bottom 2/3 of one of your vase forms... A nice wide-mouth neck on this one, and you've got yourself a Hart classic. I've been thinking of taking that extra step next time I come up with a form like this.

Russell Eaton
04-23-2011, 9:08 PM
All around just a great looking piece.

John Hart
04-23-2011, 9:21 PM
......I think the reason you may like this is that it's basically the bottom 2/3 of one of your vase forms... A nice wide-mouth neck on this one, and you've got yourself a Hart classic. I've been thinking of taking that extra step next time I come up with a form like this.

Nope...I think what you've done here is unique. You've given the form a much more graceful curve through the body than my style, and the above-the-shoulder curve has a lower rise. It is very appealing.....kinda angular. But the sweep up into the mouth on a form like this would be dynamic. I just gotta try it!!! :)

Stephen Walker
04-23-2011, 9:53 PM
David,
I am in absolute awe. I knew there was something hiding in that piece of wood, and am amazed at what you found. Now I know what to look for when I tear into a chunk of it. I doubt that I'll come up with anything as nice, but I'm gonna give it a whirl. (was that a pun that slipped in there?) Guess I'll fire up the chainsaw tomorrow and get started.

Steve

PS... remember, there's MORE