PDA

View Full Version : cheval mirror hardware to hold at angle

Jared Martin
04-22-2011, 10:41 PM
I've been searching for a piece of hardware that can accomplish holding a cheval mirror that I made a few years ago. When I made it, I guess I must have mounted the swivel up too high so it is a bit bottom heavy - meaning, if I tilt it back (bottom of mirror out and top of mirror back), it can't stay at an appropriate angle. I've been trying to think of a way to fix it and thought that there might be something that I could mount at the bottom frame cross member and the bottom of the mirror that could ratchet and hold as you tilt the mirror. Hopefully that makes sense.

Any thoughts? I'm out of ideas. Everyone here always has really good ideas.

Thanks!
Jared

Craig Coney
04-23-2011, 12:35 AM
Could you just try a star washer between the mirror and frame?

Jared Martin
04-23-2011, 11:12 PM
Hi Craig,
Thanks for the idea, but I'd like for the mirror to be able to adjust as well and I'm afraid a star washer would tear up the wood if someone were to adjust the angle.

Tony Bilello
04-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Look up VanDykes Restorers on the internet. They have Cheval mirror hardware. With the proper hardware you can set the friction to hold the mirror at almost any angle.

Mike Wilkins
04-25-2011, 10:37 AM
I found the mirror hardware for this application at the Woodcraft store. Just have not got around to making the mirror yet. On my long list of projects for future builds.

rodger d cooley
04-29-2011, 2:59 AM
how about adding some weight as a counter balance.

Frank Drew
05-26-2011, 4:41 PM
how about adding some weight as a counter balance. This would be my first thought, too, particularly if the back of the mirror is essentially hidden; looking for more suitable hardware, as Tony suggests, is probably a more elegant solution if it works for your mirror.

Otherwise, you could move the current hardware enough to balance the mirror, and nicely patch the holes from the first hardware location.