PDA

View Full Version : Beads of Courage box (HF?)

Dennis Ford
04-22-2011, 10:22 PM
I set up the camera today so a few more pictures to pester everyone with.
This is Black Gum with Osage lid and handle. The metal parts are brass. A couple of voids are filled with inlace. It is 8" in diameter and 10" high (to top of handle). The lid is threaded (my first threading in wood). I machined the threads on a metal lathe as I have not yet attempted hand chasing and doubt that the black gum is hard enough for chasing anyway. The finish is lacquer and has not been buffed out yet. The lettering was cut with a dremel and filled with black epoxy. C & C welcome.

John Keeton
04-23-2011, 8:12 AM
Dennis, when I first looked at this piece, I thought the lid extended out to just above where the bail attaches - reminded me of an old chamber pot! But, I quickly realized what you have intended. Very well done, and an interesting combo of woods!

Steve Schlumpf
04-23-2011, 9:50 AM
Beautiful turning highlighting an excellent cause! Will bring a big smile to some deserving child's face!

David E Keller
04-23-2011, 10:08 AM
That's cool, Dennis! It reminds me of a spoutless teapot. The inlace is a nice touch as well.

Bernie Weishapl
04-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Really nice piece Dennis. I like the inlace. Really sets it off.

Kelvin Burton
04-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Dennis, that is too cool! Hope I get to see it close up next Saturday! Question: what exactly is "inlace"? Is it a mineral, or maybe a composite material?

Baxter Smith
04-23-2011, 8:00 PM
Nice job Dennis. That will make somebody smile!