PDA

View Full Version : 2nd attempt

Ken Hill
04-22-2011, 9:31 PM
Its a bit btter then my first try. I feel it needs to be thinner and the base smaller but overall another learning project.

3" wide at the top, 7 inches tall
Now to decide how to dry it or let it be

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Bowls-and-Wood-Turning/i-STG8xj6/0/XL/d2x_8066-XL.jpg

David DeCristoforo
04-22-2011, 9:38 PM
I agree about the base and stem and I also would like to see a taller stem. But the cup? That's sweet, Ken! It looks so delicate and the dark rim makes it look like one of those gold rimmed crystal glasses.

Steve Schlumpf
04-22-2011, 9:39 PM
Sure is pretty! I agree with having a thinner stem and a smaller foot - but the wood is amazing!

Donny Lawson
04-22-2011, 9:39 PM
Nice little piece. Is that a whole small piece of a log with the pith in it?

Ken Hill
04-22-2011, 9:46 PM
David and Steve...im having issues whne I start getting thin with the cup moving......I reckon a more delicate touch?

Donny, I walked outside in the rain and cut a piece of red oak limb. I tried to get the pith off center as much as possible, not sure if thats the right way or not..im just wingin' it LOL!

Baxter Smith
04-22-2011, 9:48 PM
Very nice Ken! The cup to me appears more delicate than the stem and base so I agree with the thinner stem but maybe just a thinner foot rather than smaller. I like the sapwood and bark on the bottom for something different. Sort of a rustic/delicate combo look. Whatever that means!

Ken Hill
04-22-2011, 9:52 PM
A bit higher angle shot

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Bowls-and-Wood-Turning/i-7Lx5rPd/0/XL/d2x_8058-XL.jpg

I think the next one I try , I will do a 3 piece so I can better manage the proportions

Curt Fuller
04-22-2011, 9:59 PM
Ken, I love these natural edged goblets turned from a small log. I agree that the stem would look better if it were thinner and I think it would make the large base look better too. Something I do when turning goblets is to keep a 1/4" wrench on my lathe to measure the diameter of the stem. I tend to think they're thinner than they are while I'm turning and then when I take them off the lathe they look too thick. But keeping something nearby to measure takes that illusion away.

David E Keller
04-22-2011, 11:02 PM
I think it looks pretty cool. As Baxter said, it's both rustic and refined. I've got nothing to add to what's already been said except that oak would be pretty low on my list of woods for trying to 'go thin'... Something with a finer grain like maple or cherry would probably be easier to get skinny.

John Keeton
04-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Ken - beautiful cup!! Love that part. I agree on the stem and base. Would be really sweet to have a more delicate and contrasting stem and base under that cup.

Ken Hill
04-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Thanks folks, i will see what I can do about getting things more in line....I will say that everyone around here seems to like the thick and rugged stuff over the thin stuff:confused: Ofcourse we arent fancy folks LOL!

I would like to sneak a pic in here for you all to see what we do for fun. Today it rained (not real bad) so we went for a walk. Found some Morels (they were delicious!) one Box Turtle shell complete, 13 Golf Balls and one Milk Bottle from a local dairy that went out of business over 80 years ago! The Morels should be in full swing next week and I will be turkey hunting and looking for more of them. As you can see...pretty basic around here!

Vince Welch
04-22-2011, 11:45 PM
Hi Ken,

Mick O Donnel's book "Turning Green Wood" http://www.constantines.com/ProductImages/books/woodturning/BK593.jpg (http://www.constantines.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2449) Has a nice project desription of what he does with this project such as coloring or (Colouring) and spraying laquer. Really neat!!! I bought this book years ago and have enjoyed many times over. There also is a video as well.
Vince

Dan Forman
04-23-2011, 4:41 AM
Nothing much to say that hasn't been said already, but the way the grain lays out on this is great. Another thing for my to do list.

Dan

Chip Sutherland
04-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Very nice cup. Love the ray lines on the sides. Makes it look elegant. What is that oak? The edge does look gilded.

I echo the comments about the stem: thinner, lighter, need a little crisper transition just under the cup. I personally like a little detail at the bottom translation to the base. Just my opin. I am on point to make wedding goblets for my daughters so I'm cataloging your translation for future reference (hopefully not for 10 yrs or so).