PDA

View Full Version : edge jointing help

tom blankenship
04-22-2011, 7:36 PM
I am trying to recall the sequence of edge jointing boards for a table top so that their mating edges match precisely, allowing for any imprecision in the perpendicularity of the fence.

Start with the boards in the position for the table top, then set adjacent boards on their matching edges to joint. Does one feed the boards along the jointer with the same leading end or does one flip the second board end for end?

Brain spasms such as these are really annoying.

Thanks for any help.

tom

ABBEY thomas
04-22-2011, 8:50 PM
Tom, if you change the direction of alternating boards, this will correct any out-of -alignments that may be in your jointer.

Myk Rian
04-22-2011, 8:52 PM
The best way to do it with a router. Clamp the boards down with just a little space thinner than the router bit between them. Run the router down between them. Perfect every time.

On the jointer, just run the boards one at a time, but the machine had better be set up perfectly.

johnny means
04-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Here's what I do. I arrange ny boards in the sequence I plan to glue them up in. Then I draw a triangle that spans all boards. I like marking them this way because it makes it very hard to get them out of sequence. Each board then gets an arrow pointing towards the same side.

When jointing each board the first pass is done with the arrow facing me and down. The second pass is done with the arrow facing the fence and up. The board is rolled over and not flipped end for end. Flipping end for end will double the error in each board while rolling cancels out any tilt in your fence.

Forrest Bonner
04-23-2011, 8:44 AM
When you joint without a perpendicular fence you may make 'adjustments' as above. But be very careful in glue up since there will be a tendency for non-perpendicular edges to ride up on each other. It will be small but you should be aware and take precautions against it, like cauls to maintain flatness and not too much clamping pressure.
Forrest

Bill Huber
04-23-2011, 10:07 AM
I have a little crappy jointer that I would not trust to do anything but flatten a board. I have done really well with panels on the table saw and a glue-line rip blade but the best I have ever done was on the router table.

I the small shim behind the out feed fence, use a spiral 1/2" bit and the matting boards fit perfect, the glue line just disappears when glued up and the glue up is flat.

Steve Jenkins
04-23-2011, 6:59 PM
I lay out the boards and use the triangle then number them 1-whatever. Odd numbers face out from the fence and even numbers go against the fence.do both edges this way.

glenn bradley
04-23-2011, 7:47 PM
With a good face against the fence for the edge joint and that face against the platen for the ride through the planer, all should be well. If the jointer is that far out I would set aside a Saturday to give it some love ;-) . My jointer gives me good 90's but, like Bill, I use the tablesaw to edge joint more often than not.

tom blankenship
04-23-2011, 11:01 PM
Thanks to all of you for the insight!

tom