PDA

View Full Version : New Guy and Thinking About a Laser.

Dane Fuller
04-22-2011, 4:58 PM
Hello,
My name is Dane and my wife & I own, what used to be just a custom framing shop. To go along with the framing business, we've added custom small & bulk order embroidery and do some rotary engraving. In the last 3 months though, I've been getting more and more calls for laser work on glass, wood, trophies, and awards. Even though I have a wide client base, I know I won't get rich with a laser. I'm just looking fill a niche and add something extra to the framing side of the house.

That brings me to the points of my initial post. What are your opinions on an epilog helix 30w? Will it handle the things I mentioned above? And, more importantly, will it pay for itself?

BTW, you guys have a nice forum here.

Larry Bratton
04-22-2011, 6:14 PM
I have an Epilog EXT 40watt. Epilog Helix machines have a very good reputation here and many of our members use them. It would most certainly serve you well with what you describe. I think though if I were you I would stretch for a little more power. Epilog technical support is excellent and that is important with any laser.
Oh, and will it pay for itself? That will depend a lot on you and how you think about it. It needs to just be another tool in your arsenal and not expect it to stand alone as a big money maker.

Scott Shepherd
04-22-2011, 6:14 PM
I wouldn't buy a laser with the idea I'd be doing glasses. Sand blasting glasses gives a superior result, in my opinion. Lasering glass is not a great process. Some people do it, but in the end, you end up with tiny shards of glass that are rough, and you'll have to clean that with something. Sand blast booth is cheap and does a better job.

Rodne Gold
04-22-2011, 6:28 PM
A laser will be a great addition to your shop and enable you to do a lot of stuff that will add to your existing range , including the embroidery and framing side (custom matt boards ,cutting twills , felt , materials , lasering materials , laser engraved frames and so on)
Your exisiting customers are a great base to start from in marketing your added services.
Have a look at some of the stuff I do combining laser and framing ...thats just a small part of what you can do

David Fairfield
04-22-2011, 7:33 PM
You can do a lot of engraving with 30w, its good for starters. I had the same question about whether or not I could make the machine pay for itself, but somehow I managed. I think since you already have traffic for related goods, you'll have no trouble. Won't happen overnight, but it just takes time and effort

Dane Fuller
04-23-2011, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the info guys. A client asked today if I could laser his logo on some A3(?) hard anodized aluminum. Would the 30 watt be able to burn thru that?

Michael Hunter
04-23-2011, 5:11 AM
Check whether he really means "hard anodised".
Hard anodised can be difficult - and is quite uncommon to come across.
"Decorative anodising" (the most usual sort) engraves easily and should be well within the capabilities of the Helix you are considering.

Rodne Gold
04-23-2011, 5:52 AM
Anodised ally relies in the laser to leach or remove dyes in the anodising for contrast , so essentially only coloured anodising lasers well , it lasers white. Lasering undyed ally is possible , but the marks are subtle , you might burn thru the anodising if you give a lot of power and go very slowly , Not sure if this will work with hard anodised stuff tho , however you will never mark or engrave the underlying aluminium with a 30/50 w C02 laser. You will struggle to paint fill the mark you have made if the customer wants contrast or colours in it.

Dane Fuller
04-23-2011, 2:14 PM
Rodney:
Those photos show some nice clean work; very impressive. Do you chop your own frames?

Michael:
I just got back to my notes and he was talking about Type III Hard Anodizing. Here is a link to his vendor (http://www.pioneermetal.com/hard_anodizing).

It seems that a fiber or filament laser might be the direction you folks are directing me? If so, is it no good for the other things I have listed? I found the Trotec Speedy 300 Flexx. Any thoughts?

Rodne Gold
04-23-2011, 5:00 PM
I outsource my frames from a local framing shop , we do very well with frames and certificates (we do our own and often combine lasered and domed elements like metaslised seals , rosettes/ribbons ) and lasered material as per the pics.
Not too sure why you want a fibre laser , start off with a good ol Co2.

Michael Hunter
04-23-2011, 6:29 PM
Dane

It is worth doing a search of the forum for hard anodising. I'm pretty sure that someone reported that marking it at all was really difficult.
A fiber/ND:YAG type laser would probably do that particular job better, but would not give the general-purpose usefulness of a CO2 laser. You really want both!

Really odd to have sheets hard anodised - it is normally done to shafts and machine parts subjected to severe wear.
The final colour is normally unpredictable too - anything from straw yellow to browny black,.

Dan Hintz
04-24-2011, 6:05 PM
Dane

It is worth doing a search of the forum for hard anodising. I'm pretty sure that someone reported that marking it at all was really difficult.
A fiber/ND:YAG type laser would probably do that particular job better, but would not give the general-purpose usefulness of a CO2 laser. You really want both!

Really odd to have sheets hard anodised - it is normally done to shafts and machine parts subjected to severe wear.
The final colour is normally unpredictable too - anything from straw yellow to browny black,.
192712 to everything Michael said...

Dane Fuller
04-25-2011, 5:01 PM
Guys,
Thanks for all the information. I decided to go with the Epilog Helix but upgraded to a 50w. I'm sure I'll be on here asking A LOT more noob type questions. Thanks again.

Mark Ross
04-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Good luck. I can't say exactly what we do at work (don't want the competition from you guys...haha). We keep our machine running 8-12 hours a day 5-6 days a week, and we use it to do only one type of product (not retail product either). So if you find your niche you can make money. We have a 45 watt Epilog 36EXT and let me tell you, the level of service their tech support offers has spoiled me. Nothing less than world class stellar super service from the guys at Epilog. There are plenty of ways to make money using a laser, someone on here, I don't remember who, does mostly electrical panel etc. tags.

There is a company selling the ability to do a whole bunch of premade 3D patterns in wood, which may work for your framing side of the business as some of the patters look really cool, but remember 3d lasering is a SLOW process.

I can tell you, you will not become a millionaire by posting things on Ebay.

Dane Fuller
04-26-2011, 1:43 PM
Thanks Mark, PM sent.

I do have another question. I'll be venting it approx. 8'. What would you guys suggest the CFM rate be for an external evac system?