PDA

View Full Version : Reparing A Cracked Saw Horn

Noah Barfield
04-22-2011, 4:33 PM
Hi all,

I recently bought a Disston D7. For the most part, it's in good shape (no rust, sharp teeth). In addition to straightening out the blade, however, I'd like to repair a long crack in the upper horn.

So, would super glue or wood glue work best for this repair?

Noah

Jim Belair
04-22-2011, 5:48 PM
I'd use wood glue. If possible, I'd also try and drive a bit of a wedge into the crack to open it up a bit and let the glue flow in. Dilute the glue a bit if necessary to help it run.

Jim B

george wilson
04-22-2011, 6:01 PM
The conservators at Williamsburg say that super glue only lasts about 20 tears. I use more proven glue if I am serious about something. The most proven glue is hide glue,of course,but white glues have been around since the 50's.

Noah Barfield
04-22-2011, 6:21 PM
The conservators at Williamsburg say that super glue only lasts about 20 tears. I use more proven glue if I am serious about something. The most proven glue is hide glue,of course,but white glues have been around since the 50's.

Would Titebond be an appropriate glue? Where would I find hide glue?

Thanks,

Noah

Jonathan McCullough
04-22-2011, 8:02 PM
I've been using liquid hide glue for saw horns. One thing that's good about it is that freezing temperatures don't seem to bother glued joints--something to consider if your saws may spend the winter in the garage. As I understand it, other glues like super glue and epoxies can become brittle in freezing temperatures. The stuff in the bottle is also very convenient--I haven't tried the stuff you heat up in a pot.