PDA

View Full Version : Madrone brothers, now on their own

Hayes Rutherford
04-22-2011, 4:09 PM
I received some madrone burl a while back and turned it all as soon as I could to avoid sealing it or loosing it. For about two weeks I kept in it plastic bags and turned them inside out daily, then paper bags, and now they are on their own. Only one form developed a crack on the bottom but has now started to close up. It is sure a pleasure to turn aside from the sticky tool buildup that requires a little water occasionally.

i haven't decided what finish to apply, and am leaning toward Fornby's tung oil finish, or WOP. The surface is too irregular to sand and it doesn't seem like a situation where there is any grain to "pop". Any suggestions?

John Hart
04-22-2011, 4:14 PM
Those are great, Hayes. I'd be tempted to treat them like pottery. Maybe a matte finish?

Greg Just
04-22-2011, 4:29 PM
I'd love to see those up-close. Each one is very unique. I agree with John that a matte finish would look nice.

David DeCristoforo
04-22-2011, 4:35 PM
Man, those are some crinkly looking pots! They totally look like clay! Matte finish for sure. The one on the back looks like a pumpkin! They are beyond cool!

Hayes Rutherford
04-22-2011, 4:38 PM
I think the tung oil I have (Fornby's) says "low gloss" so that will probably have to do. Maybe two coats applied sparingly? I will for sure post some individual pictures when they get finished.

Roger Chandler
04-22-2011, 5:11 PM
Question.............How did you get the pottery forms to crinkle that way? Was it the turning them everyday, or some other technique?

Steve Schlumpf
04-22-2011, 5:21 PM
Wow - I am impressed! Love the organic forms and all the natural warping! I agree with everyone else here - matte finish for sure! Looking forward to seeing each of these in their own thread! Very - Very nice work!

Jim Burr
04-22-2011, 5:40 PM
I think the tung oil I have (Fornby's) says "low gloss" so that will probably have to do. Maybe two coats applied sparingly? I will for sure post some individual pictures when they get finished.

I love that finish!! If you need more shine, a little buffing is great. Those are really well done Hayes and I'm on the pottery bandwagon. Can't wait to see 'em done!:D

David E Keller
04-22-2011, 6:07 PM
Great looking stuff, Hayes! I've never had the pleasure of turning wet madrone burl, but it's moved up on my 'to do' list after seeing these.

You really crank out some nice stuff, and now I know your secret... You're sustaining yourself on Everclear and raisins!

Reed Gray
04-22-2011, 6:18 PM
Madrone will not polish up very well, just that kind of wood. You might be able to build a surface finish and buff, but sanding is impossible without removing the 3 dimentional shapes. It has always fascinated me how Madrone will move. Totally unpredictable. If you want to sand out that type of Madrone Burl, you have to do it before it drys, as in right on the lathe as soon as you are done turning it. A couple of good coats of WOP should do.

robo hippy

John Keeton
04-22-2011, 8:11 PM
Wow, those are fantastic!! I would just have to dye at least one of them an earthen color - terra cotta, or some such hue. I agree on the matte finish. Great stuff!!

Bernie Weishapl
04-22-2011, 8:47 PM
Really nice Hayes. I agree with the matte finish. Well done.

Baxter Smith
04-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Those are very neat! Love the crinkling! Turned some basic thin bowls from Madrone earlier in the year. They have been drying in bags for a while now. Nothing at all like this. Is the crinkling just a byproduct of it being burl?

Curt Fuller
04-22-2011, 10:18 PM
An amazing group of pots! They remind me of some of the really old Anasazi pinch pots. I'd be really tempted to leave them as is with no finish.

Now, just out of curiosity, how does the bag of raisins, pressed walnut oil and Everclear figure into the scheme of things? ;)

Reed Gray
04-23-2011, 12:30 AM
Because of the extreme shrinkage when Madrone dries (one bowl started at 22 inches round, and finished at 25 by 17) any thing other than straight grain will go very 3 dimensional. Any ripple type figure will go that way, any compression wood will move, any place where a branch has gone by will move with the figure. I am going have to ask my Madrone log supplier to see if he can find me some burl. It has been a while. I have promised myself that I was going to start being more artistic.

robo hippy

Scott Hackler
04-23-2011, 12:37 AM
Those look pretty cool. Makes me want to order some Madrone!

neil mackay
04-23-2011, 2:02 AM
Madrone Burl hear and see allot about it, but see so little of it down under. I think I go with John and treat it like pottery, either way the Madrone Brothers are a spectacular family.

Hayes Rutherford
04-23-2011, 2:07 AM
Roger, I have been told that madrone moves more than any other wood in North America and i simply turned forms that would tend to show this. The wood does the rest on its own.

Reed, I'm thinking some WOP as you suggested but try to avoid a gloss. I really want to avoid mixed areas of gloss with that type of surface. Applied sparingly it might look more terra cotta like as per John K.'s suggestion.

Baxter, I would guess that the burl would crinkle more and the normal stuff just tends to move a lot.

Curt and David, I haven't resorted to drinking Everclear yet, but that brand of walnut oil is great on a salad. Seriously, I use Everclear for shellac and sanding sealer when possible. I just feel better coming in contact with it over DNA.

Thanks so much for the replies. Will try to get some finish on them. For now I am happy they are on their own and no more baby sitting.

Dan Forman
04-23-2011, 4:35 AM
A great looking plethora of pots! They do really look like clay, and the lighting makes the most of that. You might try Vaseline Extra Strength Lotion on one to see if it takes away the wrinkles. :) Looks like you have been very busy.

Dan

Michelle Rich
04-23-2011, 7:11 AM
Super grouping..love their slumpy,& wrinkly forms. oil & buff?

Chip Sutherland
04-23-2011, 11:34 AM
I love those. I'm gonna have to get me some of that wood. Sure hoping that Everclear and that Burnmaster are not used concurrently!