PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Hard Maple HF

bob svoboda
04-22-2011, 12:17 PM
This wood came with my bowl steady from Jeff Nicol-Thanks Jeff. Hard Maple with Cherry pedestal, collar and finial. 10" x 4"

BLO/WOP and Beall buffed. C & C welcomed. Thanks for looking.192417

cal thelen
04-22-2011, 12:25 PM
beautiful. I really love the spalted stuff. still learning some of the shortcuts, figure wop is wipe on poly. but what is blo?

bob svoboda
04-22-2011, 12:27 PM
beautiful. I really love the spalted stuff. still learning some of the shortcuts, figure wop is wipe on poly. but what is blo?
Boiled Linseed Oil

Steve Schlumpf
04-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Very interesting form! Sure is some pretty spalted maple!

Baxter Smith
04-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Beautiful piece of wood and the shape of the HF is great for matching that center zone line. The pedestal flows into the body quite well in my opinion but not so much for the finial. All the extra curves on top compete with the beautiful body. JMO, so thats not worth a whole lot!:)

John Hart
04-22-2011, 1:09 PM
Aw man, that does it.

There's this big ol' 4 foot diameter maple tree laying in someone's yard on my route to/from work. For months, every day, I look at that thing. It is 500 tons of spalted beauty.

I must have it.

Bob....you are the reason I am going to jail.

But this HF is a great looking piece!!!:)

Jim Burr
04-22-2011, 2:07 PM
I'll bring my truck John...they can't catch us both! Sorry about the flat tire you had during the get away! :eek:
Beautiful work Bob!!! I'm drawn to the pedistal...good or bad, IMO it's seems small, but the camera angle may be causing my eye to droop...they've been known to do that ;)

John Keeton
04-22-2011, 2:52 PM
Bob, lovely piece of wood, and a very unique take on the vase form! I kinda like it!

Dan Forman
04-22-2011, 3:45 PM
That is some knockout wood, The finial and pedestal I'm warming up to.

Dan

Jeff Fagen
04-22-2011, 4:14 PM
I think Jeff knows what they look like on the inside when he picks out the tree.

David E Keller
04-22-2011, 6:14 PM
That's a neat looking piece of wood, and the finish is phenomenal! For my tastes, the finial/lid could be a little less ornate with such a busy piece of wood, but it's pretty sharp as is. Nice job!

Michael James
04-22-2011, 6:59 PM
Beautiful wood (does Jeff ever ship ugly wood?) and a unique piece - it is different.

Michelle Rich
04-23-2011, 7:18 AM
great wood combo. they really sing together! The tall shape is interesting...hope we see more

Roland Martin
04-23-2011, 8:32 AM
What a sweet piece of wood. I like the form and the foot, the finial, IMO, could be less ornate. The finish is very well done.

bob svoboda
04-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks for all the comments. I agree with those that are less than impressed with the finial-may try a redo on that. John...Hope your Maple caper goes well--If you go to jail can I have some of it?

John Hart
04-24-2011, 5:01 PM
You Bet Bob! If I go to jail, I'll be too busy watching cable TV, going to college, and playing polo anyway :)

Besides, I'm thinking about just driving up there and asking if I can have it. Who woulda thunk?

Bernie Weishapl
04-24-2011, 5:58 PM
Really nice wood Bob and interesting form. I do like the way the base flows into the HF.

BILL DONAHUE
04-24-2011, 9:18 PM
Good looking piece. You'll like the steady rest too. Jeff does a good job on themo

Doug Reesor
04-25-2011, 9:28 PM
Very nicely done.

Doug

Jeff Nicol
04-26-2011, 8:15 PM
I am a little behind on threads so I am trying to get caught up some. That chunk of wood came from a big chunk of hard maple crotchwood that I saved from my cousins place. It was on a side hill that a mountain goat would love! When I cut into it I was blown away at the dark and light areas of he spalting creating truly map looking wood. For some reason his piece of timber produces some of the nicest spalting I have ever found anywhere. It is a good thing I have about 3 pickup loads to go get that should be just about perfect right now!! We have had a ton of rain and snow so I will have to do some hoofing up and down the hills looking for the best stuff, but I know where there is a crotch piece that is about 8' long and about 3' across so I hope it is of the same caliber material.

The base is a bit small but not all that bad, keep at it and if you need some more wood let me know,

Jeff

Steve Campbell
04-27-2011, 6:23 PM
I guess I'm going to be different. I like the main form very well. I think for my tastes you could ship the base. I don't know what it is. Just goes the show I have no taste.

Steve

David Reed
04-27-2011, 7:54 PM
Wow stunning wood and I like the form. Kind of similar shape to the one I am currently (intermittently) working on. I like the pedestal but the finial is a but busy for me. Very nice execution.