PDA

View Full Version : Shipping material effects on finishes

Tim Thiebaut
04-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Morning all, I have a few things that I want to ship to family members and it seems to me I remember reading that the WOP finishes can react with plastic and mess them up. Is it safe to wrap something finished with WOP in newspaper, tissue paper, as long as they are fully cured? How do you protect the finish on your turnings when you ship them? Thanks for any and all info, Tim

David DeCristoforo
04-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Wrap in paper first. Tissue is OK but use several layers. Plain (unprinted) "newsprint" works well too. You can usually get "ends", remnants of rolls that are too small to put on a press, from a local newspaper printer for free or for a nominal cost.

Steve Schlumpf
04-22-2011, 12:31 PM
I always wrap in tissue paper and then place inside a bubble wrap bag. Might be overkill - but has worked well for me.

Tim Thiebaut
04-22-2011, 2:48 PM
Thanks guys thats what I needed to know!

Reed Gray
04-22-2011, 6:20 PM
My guess would be that if you are getting marks from plastic bubble wrap, the finish isn't totally cured. Takes a week to 10 days, and maybe a bit more just to be save.

robo hippy

Joe Meirhaeghe
04-22-2011, 7:23 PM
There is a special Tyvek paper that's made for wrapping Art in.

Tim Thiebaut
04-22-2011, 8:34 PM
My guess would be that if you are getting marks from plastic bubble wrap, the finish isn't totally cured. Takes a week to 10 days, and maybe a bit more just to be save.

robo hippy

I havnt sent anything yet Reed, but have seen others with issues in the past, so I am checking before hand to make sure that I dont run into any issues myself...Tim

Bernie Weishapl
04-22-2011, 8:45 PM
Make sure your finish is dry and wrap in tissue paper. I also wrap in bubble wrap after the tissue paper.