PDA

View Full Version : 1/8" Narex Mortise Chisel

Rich Purdum
04-22-2011, 12:05 PM
I noticed in a recent flyer that Lee Valley now has a 1/8" Narex mortise chisel offering. I snagged the set when they first came out and was wondering if I should add this to the collection. How frequently do folks here wind up chopping out a 1/8" mortise?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Well, I don't think it matters quite as much how much other folks here chop an 1/8" mortise, but how often *you* need to chop an 1/8" mortise! What kind of work do you do? I mean, for the majority of the work *I* do, the mortises are 1/4" or 5/8". Smaller mortise chisels could be real handy, however, if you'd like to make molding planes.

One thing about mortise chisels, you don't need to use them just for mortises! I find myself reaching for them more and more for general chopping tasks if they're the right size. Certainly, some of the other 1/8 and 3/16 chisels I have aren't the types I'm going to be whacking with a mallet; I wouldn't hesitate to hit the smaller size mortise chisel a little bit if need be.

Plus, if you're happy with the other Narex chisels, why not grab this while it's 10 bucks?

Mike Henderson
04-22-2011, 3:36 PM
I don't think I've ever chopped a 1/8" mortise. Many regular 1/8" bench chisels are beefy - they're only 1/8" wide but quite deep - it's the only way they can make the chisel strong enough. For example, I have a couple of Swan 1/8" chisels and they're quite deep. I'd have to look at some of my other 1/8" chisels to see how they're made. If I had to chop a 1/8" mortise, I'd probably just use one of my Swan 1/8" chisels. Or I'd drill out the mortise and then use the bench chisel to clean it out.

Mike

Jim Belair
04-22-2011, 4:09 PM
My 1/8 Two Cherries isn't much deeper than the larger sizes so I wouldn't be comfortable chopping a mortise with it. I did pick up one of the Narex even though I have no plans for it. For 10 bucks I couldn't pass it up and figure something's bound to come up where it would be useful.

Jim B

Lawrence Richards
04-22-2011, 8:00 PM
I just ordered one too... but mostly because it would have bugged the heck out of me every time I picked up the set if I didn't-- I'm funny that way

Plus yeah... $10... and it gave me an excuse to buy the Iwasaki japanese files from Lee Valley.. "but honey, it just doesn't make sense to pay shipping for just one item"

Lawrence

Derek Cohen
04-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Hi Rich

I use a 1/8" mortice chisel fairly regularly for attaching draw pulls I build (which use a M&T joint).

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/TheEndFinisAbsolutelDone_html_54233f53.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Rich Purdum
04-23-2011, 11:12 AM
For 10 bucks I couldn't pass it up and figure something's bound to come up where it would be useful.

Jim, that's kinda where I was on the thing. I find if I wait until I need a tool it will cost me a lot more.

I just ordered one too... but mostly because it would have bugged the heck out of me every time I picked up the set if I didn't-- I'm funny that way

Lawrence

I was also in the same place as you regarding the set.

Since I haven't sprung for a tool this month I guess this one will break the ice. Now, what else can I talk myself into needing?:rolleyes:

Oh, and Derek, thanks for the drawer pull tip!

lowell holmes
04-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Now I know why I needed mine when I ordered it. :)

I also bought the 1/2" chisel so the shipping cost would not be wasted.

Brian Kent
04-23-2011, 1:29 PM
I broke my 1/8" 2 cherries bench chisel with not very much leverage. If you can get it, I would do it.

By the way, Craftsman Studio sent me a free replacement. One of the reasons I keep coming back to Craftsman Studio.

(I have the same affiliation with Craftsman Studio that I do with Lee Valley and Lie Nielsen and Grizzly. When I get money, I send it to them.)

Jim Neeley
04-23-2011, 1:35 PM
Beautiful work, Derek.. and thanks for the M+T inspiration!