PDA

View Full Version : Just a workbench

Andrew Alexander
02-02-2005, 12:00 AM
First picture post for me...found this old german cabinetmaker's workbench last week...picked it up yesterday. I had to sell my newer sjoberg to get it (oh the sacrifices we must make)...

Alan Turner
02-02-2005, 5:21 AM
Nice find. What is the square hole near the tail vise?
Alan

James Mittlefehldt
02-02-2005, 6:43 AM
If there is anything that attracts my attention it is a thread about workbenches. I was wondring the same thing and it looks like the dog holes are quite large as well did it come with any bench dogs to match them. I also wondered how high is that bench. I have seen a number of workbenches around here in antique stores and they all seemed to be about 28 inches.

I assumed that was because they were shorter in the last century, they needed it that low because they planed a lot more, or the legs might have been shortened because of rot in the bottom of the legs.

Nice looking bench though

Louis Bois
02-02-2005, 7:36 AM
That, my friend, is a lovely bench...a "Cracker" if you will. You'll love it and never regret the sale of your Sjoberg. Well done!!!

Andrew Alexander
02-02-2005, 8:16 PM
Yep, she's a beauty...she measures 78" long x 28" wide and what is interesting James, is that the bench is 36" tall. The bench dog squares are 1 1/8" square so they will be substantial and no none were with the bench. Alan, I am not sure what the hole near the tail vise is...looks like something may have been glued in there in its past life...the hole is not all the way through the bench top so its going to be a fastener (screws, etc) holder I guess. The only problem with the bench is the shoulder vises wooden screw is broken. I am going to have to make another one so I am looking for a wooden threader of some type...All in all really happy I found the bench and look forward to the work that will come off its top and handing it down to future generations...thanks for your comments!

Dennis McDonaugh
02-02-2005, 8:59 PM
I'd say you moved up in the bench dept. Congrats!

Steve Wargo
02-02-2005, 11:36 PM
Nice find. What is the square hole near the tail vise?
Alan I have seen a few benches where there is a large hole cut out to hold a rectangular frame for carving. THis is the third or fouth time I've seen it and was told that's what it's for. It seems that the frame is made with a solid bottom and a a mating post to the bench hole is applied to the bottom. Then the frame is just set into the bench and remains immobile. Then if the piece needs to be rotated it is simply lifted out and repositioned in the bench cutout. this save time from adjusting the vise constantly. Not sure if that's correct, but it does make sense.