PDA

View Full Version : Disston Saws

John Tallyn
04-22-2011, 9:46 AM
There is an ad for a couple of Disston Saws on C/L where I live, no prices listed. I realize w/o more info it's hard to say, but what would be a reasonable price in general for Disstons?
Thanks
John

David Keller NC
04-22-2011, 10:12 AM
John - That's a far too general question to get an accurate answer. For example, a post 1930's disston #8 in OK shape is worth $30-$60. A pristine D-12 from the golden age of Disston (1897-1917) is worth a few hundred if it's rip-filed, and more than that if it's cross-cut. Rare Disstons, such as the all-in-one square, level & saw can be worth as much as a thousand dollars.

Jonathan McCullough
04-22-2011, 10:51 AM
I think the prices vary by region. Where I am they are a dime a dozen. Anything where there's enough corrosion to obscure the etch for somebody to not bother looking it up, it's $3 to $5 a saw. I've gotten No. 16s and No. 12s that way. It cuts the other way too though--some people want to charge $60 for a rusty, common, unsharpened D-8. One guy told me "you can tell it's a quality saw because of the curve on the back. It makes the saw go through the wood faster. It's a special saw. A special saw." If you live in a hand tool desert wasteland, it's hard to find a saw at any price. I think $10 a pop for clean, sharp D-23 is a fair price as long as you don't have to drive too far. It's not my favorite model but it's a good saw, taper ground, fairly common, will do the job, and get you started on how to figure out why those old saws are so good and what to look for. That's what they seem to be going for on the popular online auction site that dare not speak its name.

John Tallyn
04-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks, that gives me enough info to make sure I don't pay to much
John