PDA

View Full Version : Jointer

John Tallyn
04-22-2011, 9:17 AM
Ran across a 25" x 3" wooden jointer with fence at a garage sale the other day. It's in good shape, except the mouth is a bit worn and chipped, and needs a new blade. I was thinking of putting a new sole on it, but have never done this. What would be the recommendations regarding type of glue, yellow or hide, or something else. What type of wood would be the best for the sole, cocobolo, wenge, maple, etc. The blade measures, 2 1/4 by 6". Would a regular stanley type blade without the chipbreaker work in this type of plane? Sorry for all the questions, but I've never tried to refurbish a wooden plane like this, and am excited to try it, and more excited if I can actually get it to work. The plane is in good shape other then the mouth.
Thanks
John

Orlando Gonzalez
04-22-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm going to give it my best shot and hopefully others with a bit more experience will chime in as well. I have been fortunate to have acquired wooden bench planes with relatively flat soles that only needed some swipes on 180 grit paper and had good mouths.

First, is the sole in really bad condition, that is is it warped or twisted, or is it only the mouth area? If it is only the mouth area then you can simply cut out an area in front of it and patch it with some beech, lingum vitae, or another type of wood that is wear resistent. If the sole is warped or twisted you obviously have to take care of that before fixing the mouth. I have read were this can be done with a power jointer or on a #7 or #8 jointer plane.

As for adhesives I would think a good epoxy would be better than regular glue, but I've heard that hide glues is very good.

If your balde is tapered, which I think it probably is, you are going to need to match it as close as possible because the wedge has been made to fit that particluar blade. You can use Stanley blades but you would need to may need to modify the wedge/abutments to make it fit correctly. I would recommend that you take a look at these tapered ones by D. L. Barret & Sons and give them the measurements of your blade and see if the can match it as close as possible. You still may need to work on the wedge and abutments to make it fit correctly but it may be minimal.

www-dot-dlbarrettandsons-dot-com/TaperedIrons-dot-html

HTH

george wilson
04-22-2011, 11:07 AM
I recommend that you find an old,tapered blade for your jointer,and just repair the mouth as suggested. There are dealers on the internet,who sell old plane irons that have gotten separated from their planes.

john brenton
04-22-2011, 11:42 AM
gandmtools on ebay is a good source. They are cool as heck too. A couple years ago I went a little overboard on the bidding and ended up with an international shipping fee that just a hair less than the items themselves. They reduced the prices significantly and I made out like a bandit.

I recommend that you find an old,tapered blade for your jointer,and just repair the mouth as suggested. There are dealers on the internet,who sell old plane irons that have gotten separated from their planes.

Jim Koepke
04-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Bob Smalser wrote a post about repairing wood bodied planes. It is in the Sticky: Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs section #7.

jtk

John Tallyn
04-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the info, really appreciate itg. Will check out the Neanderthal Wisdom Faqs.

Orlando Gonzalez
04-22-2011, 12:13 PM
gandmtools on ebay is a good source. They are cool as heck too.......

+1 on gandmantools. I needed a 2-5/8" wide tapered blade for a panel raiser and found a 2-3/4" one in their ebay store. I had it shipped to Phil Edwards who is modifying it for me and shipping it with the 2 new planes I bought. ;)

Mike Holbrook
04-23-2011, 7:02 PM
My searches for gandmantools, Gand Man Tools , Grand Man Tools.... turned up no results?

Jim Belair
04-23-2011, 8:16 PM
My searches for gandmantools, Gand Man Tools , Grand Man Tools.... turned up no results?

Not on ebay but assume this is the one http://www.gandmtools.co.uk/catalogue.php

Orlando Gonzalez
04-23-2011, 10:28 PM
The link that Jim provided takes you directly to their store outside ebay but I could only find unused plane irons. If you go on ebay and do a seller search for gandmtoolsales and it will show you all their used plane irons. Their ebay store is called The Plane Iron Shop.