PDA

View Full Version : DIY hollowing tool

neil mackay
04-22-2011, 3:33 AM
This is cross between a Munro and a Proform hollowing tool. Handle is 1'' Stainless covered with 1-1/4 foam 13" in length. The bar is 1/2" carbon steel hardened to stiffness and bent into a goose neck at the business end to increase access to those hard to get spots.
The other bar is 1/2 stainless, still fairly stiff but shorter with a hook tool made from carbon steel, hardened and tempered.
The cutter is a cup cutter HSS double sided, all I have to do is flip it over when its get blunt to obtain another sharp edge to carry on with.

John Keeton
04-22-2011, 6:42 AM
Neil, that is some very nice work on the tools - looks very professionally done and should do the job! BTW, now that you are through with that old beat up backdrop and don't have any further use for it, I will be glad to accept shipment and get it out of the way for you!;):D

Greg Just
04-22-2011, 8:18 AM
Neil:

Like John said, very professional looking. I have made a few hook tools, but mine don't look as nice as yours. What did you use to refine the shape on the cup cutter? A Dremel tool?

David E Keller
04-22-2011, 8:37 AM
Cool tools, Neil! No reason to send that lumpy background piece to JK... He doesn't like the hard and dusty Aussie stuff. On the other hand, I have an affinity for hard and dusty...

John Hart
04-22-2011, 9:06 AM
Geez Hughie...you make such cool tools. What is your process for hardening? I think I want to try it and I have easy access to coal...although I wonder if I can get wood coals hot enough.

Steve Schlumpf
04-22-2011, 9:39 AM
Very nice work Neil! You obviously have a little experience in metal working! Really like your hook tool!

Hayes Rutherford
04-22-2011, 3:33 PM
Nice, I like seeing that sort of stuff.

David DeCristoforo
04-22-2011, 4:38 PM
Go ahead and send Keeton or Keller the burl. But send me the tools. I'll try them out for you and report back...

neil mackay
04-23-2011, 1:56 AM
:D thanks for all the comments.

I will be glad to accept shipment and get it out of the way for you!;):D

The burl is a bit hefty to send, measuring over 3' long 12' wide and 10' thick. SWMBO wants a large fruit platter/bowl, so its kinda spoken for. I have yet to work out how to do it to keep the boss happy. It wont be a walk in the park as its a fairly dry Brown Mallee burl and they can be very hard.

What did you use to refine the shape on the cup cutter? A Dremel tool?

The cup cutter is a store bought item made in china, imported by a local engineering supply store here.

No reason to send that lumpy background piece to JK... He doesn't like the hard and dusty Aussie stuff. On the other hand, I have an affinity for hard and dusty...

I had no idea John had such an aversion :D I am sure he appreciates your concern for him ;)

You obviously have a little experience in metal working! Really like your hook tool!

I must confess of being in the engineering game for over 40 years. Which really assists in the wood turning hobby.

What is your process for hardening? I think I want to try it and I have easy access to coal...although I wonder if I can get wood coals hot enough.

I use for most of my hardening Mapp gas via a hand held torch. In this case I had some hardened linear rods on hand. So I just softened up the end to bend the goose neck.
Hardening long skinny items can be a challenge to keep them straight. They require plunging into the cooling medium absolutely vertical.

Go ahead and send Keeton or Keller the burl. But send me the tools. I'll try them out for you and report back...

It certainly would be a more cost effective option. :D