PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia Maple Vase

John Hart
04-21-2011, 8:04 PM
Ok...I'm calling this done. Fussed with it a bit more than I wanted to but decided to leave the stem simple and move on to the next project.

This is an Ambrosia Maple Body, Walnut stem and collar, cherry on top and bottom. Finished with 3 coats of AO and I'll buff it later. The height is 15.5" Width 8" at the widest.

Severe Critiques Welcome!! :)

David E Keller
04-21-2011, 8:36 PM
Looks good to me, John. The finish is phenomenal! I'm assuming it's wipe-on poly.:p:D

The are a couple of little things that I might alter on future pieces... The transition from form to stem and the stem itself. The top of this piece is graceful and sweeping, so the little groove under the form kind of interrupts the flow. On the stem itself, it appears that the long cove is symmetrical, and I think asymmetrical might work better to mirror the neck on the upper portion. Those are both tiny nits to pick...

I'm glad you've found some time to turn 'cause I really enjoy seeing you and your stuff around here!

Roland Martin
04-21-2011, 8:50 PM
Very nice, John. Great form and a really nice finish, wow, what a finish.

I just reallized this is "post 1,000". Oops, didn't mean to get off subject.

Steve Schlumpf
04-21-2011, 9:23 PM
Roland - Congrats on your 1000th post! It is a milestone!

John - I agree with David on the pedestal thing... but also wanted to say that your finish looks great!

Only one question.... What is it used for? ;)

Gene Hintze
04-21-2011, 9:24 PM
Very nice piece but I do prefer it without the stem. Nice form and wood combo on the vessel.

Baxter Smith
04-21-2011, 9:54 PM
Very striking John! I never come close to getting that much shine with just 3 coats of AO. Seems like it usually takes about twice that many for me.

Bernie Weishapl
04-21-2011, 10:01 PM
John I like it. The only changes I would make would the transition from body to base and I think I would like it better with a solid color base. John well done.

Tim Thiebaut
04-22-2011, 12:24 AM
John I think this is a great piece, there arent to many times we see something with more then 2 types of wood that looks this good/balanced, you pulled it off with flying colors in my opinion.

neil mackay
04-22-2011, 3:35 AM
interesting shape,well done with a fine finish.

Michelle Rich
04-22-2011, 5:13 AM
Boy oh boy are you brave! asking for severe critiques!! I have never seen a shape like that, so my brain is unsure of that, but I love the colors..they appeal. If one likes shiny finishes, this one sure looks perfectly done...I'll look at it some more, maybe it will grow on me!

John Hart
04-22-2011, 6:51 AM
Thanks everyone :)

I am going to make some heavy-duty effort to improve the pedestal on upcoming pieces and pay particular attention to the points made here and in the other critique thread. The transition and symmetry are of particular interest to me. I'll work on it. :)

On the finish...thanks so much. For what it's worth, I don't follow the instructions on the can verbatim. It says to wipe on the AO....wait 15 minutes...wipe off excess....wait 24 hours between coats and repeat the process. (or something like that)

my steps are:
1. Wipe on heavy and where it soaks in readily....put more on.
2. Wait 30 minutes and wipe off excess
3. Wait 24 hours buff with 0000 steel wool
4. Wipe on heavy coat
5. Wait 30 minutes
6. Using an oil-wetted cloth, rub the thing down in a french polish motion.
7. Wait 24 hours and buff very lightly with 0000 steel wool
8. Add last light coat with oil-wetted cloth rubbing down in the french polish motion.

Works for me anyway. :)

John Hart
04-22-2011, 6:52 AM
....Only one question.... What is it used for? ;)

It's ummm...used for...ummm....Putting Flowers in it!! Yeah...that's it....It's for flowers!! :)

bob svoboda
04-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Can't decide on the shape, but it is definitely growing on me. Love the wood combo and that finish is unreal. Very nicely crafted.

jwjerry w kowalski
04-22-2011, 10:35 AM
I really like the form, it's something originally different, I like the contrasts of the woods, and the finish is stunning, thanks for sharing your technique, I'm going to try that for sure.

Curt Fuller
04-22-2011, 10:46 PM
You know John, I don't know squat about ancient art but when I see your work, especially this piece, I picture Cleopatra lounging on a long couch with a couple servants fanning her while she sips ambrosia from this vessel.

Does this have any kind of an Egyptian influence?