PDA

View Full Version : Keyed chucks

Richard Dooling
04-21-2011, 7:20 PM
I just picked up the SuperNova 2 and this is my first keyed chuck. My midi chuck uses bars to tighten the jaws.

The mechanism feels stiff to me but I'm unfamiliar with this type. Is this normal? Nothing feels like it's binding or grating and it travels through its full range.

Thanks

Roger Chandler
04-21-2011, 7:26 PM
After it gets broken in, it will operate smoother...............I have 2 SN2' s and one original supernova. They are made in china now, and the machining in the main scroll gear is not as smooth as the original.............both of mine have gotten better with use.

Richard Dooling
04-21-2011, 8:03 PM
Thanks Roger,

I kind of thought that might be the case. I noticed some minor burrs on the chuck threads where the lathe specific insert screws in. No problem - but less finished than I might have thought.

Steve Schlumpf
04-21-2011, 9:25 PM
I have a Oneway Talon - but take it apart every once in a while, clean and then add dry graphite powder as a lube. Makes a huge difference. Maybe you just have some excess grease or something meant as a rust preventive.

Bill Blasic
04-22-2011, 8:26 AM
I have a number of Novas, about 60 - 40 NZ - China. They all work exactly the same with no problems.
Bill

David E Keller
04-22-2011, 8:44 AM
+1 for cleaning and lubing it... I'd be suprised if that doesn't make a positive difference.

Richard Dooling
04-22-2011, 9:07 AM
Thanks everyone.

I may disassemble and clean it this weekend but from what's been said here it sounds like I will not damage it if I use it as is and put off cleaning for a while.

I've had way too many hours fine tuning equipment and cleaning the shop this spring. That includes quite a few hours fixing an arbor flange on a new table saw that was not perpendicular to the arbor. Now that was fun!:eek:

Anyhow it's time to make stuff!!

Richard Jones
04-22-2011, 9:34 AM
I have a G3 that is stiff. I went so far as to remove the t-handle and chuck the keyed portion into a drill, forward & reverse, ad infinitum, hasn't made the slightest difference whatsoever, even with lube. It's just a bad chuck, they do make them occasionally..............:)

Rich

Matt Newton
04-22-2011, 9:38 AM
I have two SN2 chucks and like them. One thing I would recommend is to take the round end off the hex key. If you don't the recess tends to get buggered up and sloppy. Had to replace the recess on one of my chucks before I got this recommedation here.

Richard Dooling
04-22-2011, 9:57 AM
So Rich, do you still use that chuck and just accept the stiffness. It's not like I'll be running through the full range of motion every few minutes.

Matt - thanks. I had that thought as soon as I put the key in the recess. I guess some thought went into this but I honestly can't think of a reason to have this not be a normal straight key.

I didn't think to measure last night - do you happen to know what size the key is? It's bigger than anything in my hex key assortment.

Thanks

Mitch McGee
04-22-2011, 10:13 AM
I had the same issue with my latest SN2. I disassembled it and found that one of the jaw slides was binding in the slide way. I tried the jaw slides (in sequence) in all four slide ways. Once I found the best fit (least binding); I used Flitz to lap the offending jaw slide in its slide way. Then I removed the Flitz with solvent and applied some dry lube. It is now smoother than its siblings.

Cheers,

Richard Jones
04-22-2011, 4:33 PM
So Rich, do you still use that chuck and just accept the stiffness. It's not like I'll be running through the full range of motion every few minutes.

Matt - thanks. I had that thought as soon as I put the key in the recess. I guess some thought went into this but I honestly can't think of a reason to have this not be a normal straight key.

I didn't think to measure last night - do you happen to know what size the key is? It's bigger than anything in my hex key assortment.

Thanks

I do, but this chuck has a set of step jaws on it and I really don't use it that often, so I just live with it. I've contemplated doing as Mitch indicated, just a pain to tear it completely down. If I used it all the time, I'd do it in a second. This one was gifted me, so I had to live with it. My SN2 shows no such inhibitions with slinkiness..........

Rich