PDA

View Full Version : Blade guard attachment to Carter Guides

Mike Cruz
04-21-2011, 3:22 PM
I'm doing a refinish on a 1958 Delta Band Saw. I decided to go with the Carter DEL 20 A/B conversion kit. Unfortunately, there is no way to attach the blade guard to the upper guide assembly. Apparently it is a "wing it" procedure that the customer has to come up with.

Anyone done this yet? What did you do? Got any pics? There has to be someone. I'll check with the guys at OWWM. But thought I'd ask here first because many of those guys don't like to do anything "new" to a piece of equipment that isn't factory. I can feel the eyes rolling over there when I ask these sorts of questions...

Mike Cruz
04-23-2011, 1:47 AM
Hmmmm, I'll take this as a "no"...

Bill Huber
04-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Maybe if you could take some pictures up close of what you need to do someone could come up with a idea. I don't know the saw or just what the bade guard looks like.

Bill Dempsey
04-23-2011, 10:44 AM
I put a carter guide set up on a grizz g0555, with a riser kit about a year back. The carter guide instructions identify a jet phone number and jet part number needed to replace the upper half of the guard. I called, ordered it, and it was perfect match. All FREE, including shipping. I suspect your delta is same deal, with delta instead of jet in the picture. I'd call carter for specifics if they are not included in the install instructions.

Myk Rian
04-23-2011, 12:25 PM
The last thing I would want to do is put an Asian part on a vintage Delta.
Here's what you can do.
The older Delta BSs riser kit came with a sheet metal guard. It slips on the edge of the upper wheel cover.
Put a WTB ad at owwm.org in the BOYD forum. I'm sure someone will have one.
Part no. LBS-182

Mike Cruz
04-25-2011, 6:49 PM
Myk, sorry, but the pic/drawing you included was unclear to me. Myk and Bill D, sorry, but maybe I was unclear or confusing in my OP. I did not put a riser on this saw. It is a 20" BS. You can't really raise it without cutting off the left arm and welding in a riser. So, no riser was used. I just got rid of the old guides and switched to Carter's. The problem is that since this conversion set is made to fit multiple BS manufacturers, they do not include a way of attaching a blade guarde to the upper guide assembly. I took Bill H's advice and took some pictures. You can see them below. Hope this clarifies the problem...which is how to attach the original blade guard to the Carter upper guide assembly.

My brother and I brainstormed today and I think if I cut the guide like the pencil marks show, and bend the bottom flap to a 90 degree angle, then drill and tap holes in the top of the forward aluminum part of the guide assembly (behind the blade) and drill corresponding holes in the bent over tab of the blade guard (roughly where the two circles are drawn on the blade guard... that will be the tab), I could screw it down onto the assembly.