PDA

View Full Version : Caveat Emptor

John mcAuliffe
04-21-2011, 2:49 PM
After ordering a new bandsaw from General International I figured I would order a stabilizer from Carter Products. I e-mailed them pictures from the manual for the new saw and they assured me the model #std-1 would be the correct fit. Once I received the saw and then the stabilizer I found out the bar on the std-1 was too short. I called Carter and they said to return it to Iturra Designs. I told them it was their mistake and they should exchange it. They then told me to return it to them and that a 15% restocking fee plus postage would be my responsibility. That adds up to 25% of the purchase price that i would have to pay for them making the mistake of recommending the wrong product. Terrible customer service !!

Dan Hintz
04-21-2011, 2:53 PM
In cases like those, I simply tell them they have two choices: 1) Replace the item at their cost, including shipping, or 2) Expect to receive a chargeback on the credit card. Considering they'll pay more in fees on the chargeback, the wise company will pay the shipping.

John mcAuliffe
04-21-2011, 3:01 PM
I purchased the item from Iturra Designs in Florida. When I was ordering it from Lou Iturra he asked if I was sure of the model number and I told him I had contacted Carter and they assured me it was. i feel it was a mistake and Carter should be held liable for all costs.

Dan Hintz
04-21-2011, 3:09 PM
I purchased the item from Iturra Designs in Florida. When I was ordering it from Lou Iturra he asked if I was sure of the model number and I told him I had contacted Carter and they assured me it was. i feel it was a mistake and Carter should be held liable for all costs.
Okay, with that information, I'm going to disagree. Carter gave you incorrect info, but that's not Lou's fault... I'd pay the 15% restocking fee and determine what the correct version is.

Larry Fox
04-21-2011, 3:19 PM
Sux that they won't make it right without a nonsense restocking fee. As an aside, if it is the arm that connects the guides to the saw you might be able to get them to ship you one for free. I have an MM-16 and the arm for the bottom guides that they sent with the originals was absurdly short and I got wind from someone on this site that they would ship you a longer one for free. I called and that is exactly what they did.

Neil Brooks
04-21-2011, 3:38 PM
One happy customer gets you 2.
One unhappy customer costs you 10.

I would have just told my employee to take care of you.

Matt Meiser
04-21-2011, 4:14 PM
Wait, you managed to get a hold of Iturra?

Mike OMelia
04-21-2011, 4:52 PM
I have spoken to Lou on the phone before! :)

Since you must have emailed the document to Carter, and recieved their response back, then you have a paper trail of truth. Use that to get them to do the right thing. But it is not Lou's fault. Since you did not buy direct from Carter, looks like you are over a barrel. But it does stink. But, the email, sent to a manager, should resolve it.

Mike

John mcAuliffe
04-21-2011, 5:30 PM
I never asked Lou to make good on the error. It was all Carter's fault.

Matt Day
04-21-2011, 5:55 PM
My head hurts trying to understand who's on first.

John mcAuliffe
04-21-2011, 6:05 PM
Sorry for the confusion. The item was bought from Iturra Designs after conferring with Carter on the correct model #. I feel Iturra is not the one in the wrong.

John mcAuliffe
04-22-2011, 8:41 AM
Kim Tompkins a senior customer service rep e-mailed me last night and offered to exchange the item for a different model at no cost to me. It only takes one good employee to solve a problem in a fair way. Thanks for helping.

Mike OMelia
04-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Awesome! I knew this would work out. It usually does. Maybe now would be a good time to post a new thread talking about the awesome customer service at Carter?

Mike

Joseph Tarantino
04-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Wait, you managed to get a hold of Iturra?

can't eveyone?

http://www.manta.com/c/mmc3znn/iturra-design

Mike OMelia
04-22-2011, 11:53 PM
I guess "bad news" is more fun to post than "good news"

Mike

John mcAuliffe
04-23-2011, 9:04 AM
I just shipped the item to Carter. I will wait and see if the exchange is the answer and then reply.
Thanks

Matt Meiser
04-23-2011, 9:52 AM
can't eveyone?

http://www.manta.com/c/mmc3znn/iturra-design

No because they frequently don't answer their phone, don't have a web site, and apparently don't have email.