PDA

View Full Version : Maple burl hollow form ala John Keeton/Keith Burns

Brian Brown
04-21-2011, 1:31 PM
Here is another HF I finished recently. It is one of my favorite pieces, because I like Big Leaf Maple Burl a lot, and I was mostly satisfied with how everything else worked. This is about 8.5" tall, and 5" wide. The base, collar, and finial are made of black walnut cut through the crotch feather. It is sanded to 800, and soaked in tung oil. I still need to sign this one. The finial bead (John Keeton style) is made from one of the corners I band sawed off the original blank, and the finial top is patterned after a style from Keith Burns. As always, I would like a critique, especially regarding form and proportions.

Roger Chandler
04-21-2011, 1:39 PM
Excellent form, Brian.........and who could not like that BLM burl? I think the collar is well executed and I like the walnut base as well. If I had one improvement to critique it would be that the upper part of the finial could be a little thinner [slender/slim] and perhaps about an inch or more shorter, and it would have a more delicate look......that being said, believe me, the camera makes them finial thingys look bigger-n-Ay-R, for sure! :D;) The transition from the finial base upward is nice, also.

Really nice work!!! :)

David DeCristoforo
04-21-2011, 1:41 PM
Everything about this works for me. Except the top (walnut) section of the finial which almost totally overwhelms the piece. I only mention this because you asked for "critique" and if the finial were not so heavy this would be a "world class" turning!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-21-2011, 1:47 PM
Brian,

My man...you have come a long ways! The woods work together quite well! As others have stated, the only thing I would change is I would taper the upper part of the finial. Other than that, my friend, it scares me to agree with Double D but this would be a world class turning IMHO.

Tim Rinehart
04-21-2011, 2:00 PM
Brian...very cool. I go along with comments about lightening the upper part of finial. Try taking a look at it without the foot, or if the form were elevated using the walnut with a long spindly foot thing. Your form is spot on ... just really smooth and flows well, and the finish looks great.

Dan Forman
04-21-2011, 2:10 PM
I too agree with David. Splendid form, gorgeous wood, collar and smaller bulb is sweet, finial could use some trimming. Dan

John Hart
04-21-2011, 2:19 PM
The form is just perfect for two hands to cradle. Very pretty. :)

Tim Thiebaut
04-21-2011, 2:27 PM
That is very nice Brian, also I really like how you varied your background in the photos you took, makes a nice contrast from one photo to another, with this piece I like the way it shows in the black background...I will have to remember to try that next time I have something ready.

charlie knighton
04-21-2011, 2:41 PM
very nice....ala John Keeton/Keith Burns , 2 gooduns to guide you

i was able to see Keith's stuff in nashville, seems he has gotten into burning, even burning mesquite

jwjerry w kowalski
04-21-2011, 3:48 PM
Brian that is gorgeous, maybe the finial is a little heavy, but overall I really like it. I'm going to have to get me some of that BLM Burl!

Roland Martin
04-21-2011, 4:54 PM
Excellent form, I seriously like this form a lot. Of course, you can't go wrong with a combination of BLM and walnut crotch. The replication of the form on the finial bulb is great. I tend to agree that the size of the finial may be slightly overpowering the otherwise gorgeous form.

David DeCristoforo
04-21-2011, 6:11 PM
"...it scares me to agree with Double D..."

Not to worry, my friend. Many people have agreed with me on occasion and none of them suffered any permanent damage.

Jim Burr
04-21-2011, 7:16 PM
I have to throw my hat in the Double D ring. Finial seems a bit thick. Stunning piece other than that!!

Alan Trout
04-21-2011, 7:51 PM
I agree with David on this one. If it was slimmed down a quite a bit it would be 100% winner. Still a great piece and excellent execution on the body. Well Done.

Alan

Steve Campbell
04-21-2011, 8:58 PM
I love it just the way it is. I guess it's a good thing we don't all have the same tastes. Thanks for showing it.

Steve

Baxter Smith
04-21-2011, 8:58 PM
Beautiful wood combo's and great form and finish on the body! The handle on top will need to grow on me.

David E Keller
04-21-2011, 9:04 PM
Cool looking piece, Brian! I like the beefy finial, but I agree that it could be a bit shorter.

Not a criticism, but a suggestion for a future piece... What about a 'crab claw' type finial on a form like this?

Sorry, my photoshop skills are pretty sorry!

John Keeton
04-21-2011, 9:07 PM
Brian, I am flattered to even be mentioned in connection with this piece!! Very nice work. I think Keith probably originated the form replication as you have it, but at least my thievery has gained me some recognition! I do agree on a slimmer finial, and my comment makes 11 folks so far that agree with DD!! So, at this point, counting David, that is a clear majority of folks that should clearly be concerned about their mental health!!:eek::D:D

Steve Schlumpf
04-21-2011, 9:18 PM
Well, maybe you haven't posted anything for a while but it is clear with this piece that you have been working on your turning skills! Exceptionally nice work!

While I will agree with the majority here that the finial is a little thick - it would sure be cool if it was hollowed out and had just lightly more slant at the top! That would remove the feeling of heaviness that the present size adds to the piece - in my opinion.

Looking forward to seeing what else you have been turning!

John Hart
04-22-2011, 5:46 AM
.....What about a 'crab claw' type finial on a form like this?

Oh man...that is soooo cool!!!! Did you just invent that?? :)

Michelle Rich
04-22-2011, 6:57 AM
you are putting us all to shame..super piece..photos may make the finial look bigger than it is, so I have no comment other than it's one gosh darn pretty finial.

David E Keller
04-22-2011, 8:46 AM
Oh man...that is soooo cool!!!! Did you just invent that?? :)

I think the idea was invented by crabs, but I've been known to borrow...

David DeCristoforo
04-22-2011, 11:46 AM
The doc may be "funnin'" you with the "crab claw" finial. But it actually blows this piece over the top and illustrates my point that, with the "right" finial, this piece will be as good as it gets, right up there with the best of them!

John Hart
04-22-2011, 11:51 AM
And that's why I thinks that that Doc am smart. ;)

The Keller Krab Klaw finial must be created.

Let it be written....Let it be done.

Bernie Weishapl
04-22-2011, 5:23 PM
Brian that is a great looking piece. The contrasting woods work well together. I agree the top part of the finial could be slimmed down some.