PDA

View Full Version : Another Blum Undermount thread...

James Morton
04-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Tried the search function, but could not find the answer to this.

Blum 562F undermounts, the directions say that in order for the drawer to align and function properly, the inside drawer width must equal the interior cabinet width minus 1 15/16. Assuming my interior cabinet width is 20", and the drawer stock is all 3/4", this would mean that my inside drawer width is 18 1/16 and the outside drawer width has to be 19 9/16. (I am applying the drawer fronts.) My questions is this...how critical is that measurement? Can the drawers be more narrow and will the slides still funtion?

I dont have a problem making the drawer exactly this wide, I was just wondering if any of you folks with real world experience with these slides have noticed that there is room for play in thier dimensions. I guess I just want to know how exact I really need to be with this.

Thanks in advance.

michael case
04-21-2011, 11:38 AM
James,

For 3/4" thick sides you do indeed use the 562F slides. However you only deduct 7/16" of inch (11MM) from the exterior of drawer and its should fine. I just made and installed three drawers for these exact slides the other day and have the Blum book right in front of me now. These Euro directions are confusing at first and take some getting used to. But to answer your original question. The under mounts definitely have more play. You should be accurate to a 1/32", but you don't have to go nuts as with side mount slides.

Clisby Clark
04-21-2011, 11:38 AM
I've used them a few times. You may have some wiggle room for error, but I would try to make the draweres as close to the size prescribed in their tables. Do a test fit and see if it works. If you've already made the drawers and they are too narrow you could use a router and chisel to remove some material from the bottom of the drawer sides under the groove. The overall drawer width doesn't matter-just the distance of the inside drawer sides in relation to the case sides. Good luck.

Erik Christensen
04-21-2011, 2:04 PM
I like those slides and one thing that I learned is that it is MUCH easier for my limited skills if the drawers are half blind dovetails. As you have discovered the really critical dimension is drawer width - with half blind dovetails that is exactly the same as front/rear length. I have done a couple of dozen so far and all have been zero problem on install.

James Morton
04-22-2011, 9:29 AM
Thank you everyone for your responses.