PDA

View Full Version : Reaming arbors

Ryan Hellmer
04-21-2011, 11:23 AM
I have a 12" tablesaw with a 1 inch arbor. I also have some nice 10" blades that I'd like to keep. My question is this, could I use a step drill to ream the arbor holes in my 10 inch blades to 1 inch? I'm thinking the step drill would self-center in the 5/8 hole and then just proceed up to 1 inch. I would be using a drill press and am thinking of a custom jig to support the saw plate (not the teeth) and clamp the blade in place. Anything else I'm missing?

Ryan

Sam Layton
04-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Hi Ryan,

I have no experience with what you are asking. That being said, I don't think the step drill will work. In drilling the arbor larger, there is no room for error. In my opinion precision equipment must be used. I think your best bet is to send your blades to a saw shop where they have the necessary equipment.

Sam

Bruce Page
04-21-2011, 12:48 PM
I agree with Sam. Unibits, or step drills, are handy to have around but they are not precision cutting tools. You will loose a little concentricity between the blade teeth and arbor hole with each “step”.

Dennis Ford
04-21-2011, 1:32 PM
If you center the step bit and then securely clamp the blade down before turning on the drill press, this could work. Depending on how rigid your drill press is, there will be some run-out. The resulting hole will likely be oversize also which will add to the run-out. The right equipment would do a much better job. I would do something like this only with cheap blades intended for rough work.

Erik Christensen
04-21-2011, 1:38 PM
Best of luck to ya but not something I would ever do - I agree with Dennis but you said "some nice 10" blades" so my 2 cents is send them to a pro who would do it right

Rod Sheridan
04-21-2011, 2:30 PM
It costs me $12 to have blades bored to 30mm from 5/8", and the saw shop makes a nice round concentric hole........Well worth the cost.......Rod.

Chip Lindley
04-21-2011, 2:43 PM
I'm with Ron! Re-boring saw blades is a precision operation best done by someone equipped for such. Should you attempt to "ream" your nice saw blades to 1", chances are they won't be so "nice" any more.

Jay Jeffery
04-21-2011, 6:04 PM
I doubt a step drill would be hard enough to drill into saw blade anyways. That would probably require carbide tooling at least.

Steve Ryan
04-22-2011, 8:08 AM
Most saw shops will do this on a Bridgeport type milling machine with an adjustable boring head. Got that and you can do it yourself. Cheaper and faster to send them out.