PDA

View Full Version : Thank heavens I know a good Photographer...

Tamara Brown
04-20-2011, 11:44 PM
I know it was a shock to see Brian back on the forum, to say the least he has been busy. But he wasn't to busy to shoot my latest piece for me along with his. Now you know why he is the LOML. ;)

This one has taken me a year to do. I could never find the time to work on it and when I did, boy was I rusty. Anyway, it is out of Madrone burl, ebony and pink ivory and is 8.5" tall. I started with a drawing and actually stuck pretty close to it. Any critique will be most welcome!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-20-2011, 11:57 PM
Very clean, precise lines Tamara. I like the contrasts of the 3 different woods. What did you use for a finish?

Tamara Brown
04-21-2011, 12:01 AM
Thanks Ken, it just has tung oil on it right now. I haven't put the final finish on it yet. I will be putting lacquer on it, but I would like it to try a wipe on lacquer instead of spray. Any suggestions on which it the best to use. I will then most likely buff it as well.

Tim Thiebaut
04-21-2011, 12:11 AM
That is very nice! It may have taken you a while to do but it was well worth it!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-21-2011, 12:19 AM
Tamara, I am not one to be giving recommendations for the use of wiping/brushing lacquer. I have used a great deal of it on pens, bottle stoppers and other things that I can apply the Deft to on the lathe. I have only used it on one project off the lathe and that was a turned pedestal table (Martha Washington's candle stand, a Norm Abrams project) that I finished last fall. While I eventually got it to come out reasonable, I struggled with it. I suppose it could have been just because of the sheer size of the table but it might just have well been due to my lack of talent applying brushing lacquer. I DON'T spray. period......

Michelle Rich
04-21-2011, 4:54 AM
you are lucky to have a great photographer! But my oh my, where have you been sister? Lovely vessel..do you have a buffing system? Beall? Personally, I would wait for that vessel to dry then hit it with the Beall..simple, easy, and makes pieces smoootthhh. I sure hope you and your personal phototgrapher bring us more of this beauty.

John Hart
04-21-2011, 5:54 AM
I opened this up and immediately liked it. Very handsome piece with nice form, wonderful wood, and great accents. Beauty!!

I like spray lacquer because I feel I can control it better with several light coats. If anything goes wrong, 0000 steel wool buffs it out quickly without removing much.

John Keeton
04-21-2011, 6:58 AM
Very nice piece! Great combo of woods, and the overall form is very pleasing. Amazing that you had the patience to stick to this to completion. I am not sure I could keep a project going for that long. Did the wood move on you over time? I would think that would be a major issue with the passage of time.

As to finish, I kind of like the matte look on the burl contrasted with a higher gloss on the ebony. Michelle may have the answer - just a buffed finish. The ebony, by nature, may gloss up quite a bit more than the madrone. I have been using WOP and have moved away from the lacquer. The satin WOP gives a very nice finish with 2-3 coats over shellac.

bob svoboda
04-21-2011, 9:27 AM
That's a knockout. Love the combination of woods.

Baxter Smith
04-21-2011, 9:39 AM
Very neat turning. Sounds like a long process! I get impatient after a few days.

David Reed
04-21-2011, 10:07 AM
I really like this piece. The form is very elegant and formal. The blending of the different wood types/colours really shows off your fine workmanship. You really nailed the final execution - certainly worth the wait.

Darren Jamieson
04-21-2011, 10:10 AM
real nice looking vessel. The burl is fantastic and the pink ivory and ebony go so well with it. If it were mine I would not be trying anything on there that I wasn't 100% confident with. That being said when I ever get back on the lathe I will go right back to the minwax paste wax. I apply it on the lathe and buff it to an oh so smooth finish that makes me want to never set the peice down. (I am crazy that way though)

Roger Chandler
04-21-2011, 10:10 AM
A very attractive and striking piece................well done!