PDA

View Full Version : Two new tables

David Reed
04-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Not exactly a complex project but I am pleased with the results for a simpler side table. The tops are BLM crotch, the skirts BLM burl and the legs, BLM spalted with some burl remnants. It was all harvested from my place and finished from raw logs. One of the tops has a little brass chip inlay which does not show up well in the pics. Sorry about the background.192245192246192247192248192249

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Kris Bjarnason
04-21-2011, 2:08 AM
These are great, and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw you are an Olallan, as I am too! What does BLM stand for? I imagine it's our native maple?

David Reed
04-21-2011, 9:20 AM
I too was confused of the plethora of abbreviations when I first joined the Creek. I spend most of my time with the turning forum and they seem to be rather ubiquitous over there so thought the lingo would carry over here. BLM= Big Leaf Maple. And oh yea, they are finished with a couple coats of BLO (boiled linseed oil) and several coats of WOP (wipe on poly), the final three applied and wet sanded with 1000 grit. Just a few of the new acronyms I learnt o'er yonder.
Fellow Olallan, good to hear from you. I will send you a PM.

David Nelson1
04-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Absoltuly outstanding! The tops look so defined I thought I was looking @ some type of quarried rock. Love the way the burl and spalting complement each other!!!

Prashun Patel
04-27-2011, 1:51 PM
I really like these. I like the straightforward design. It lets the grain speak. Also, that's a clever way to use the burl on those aprons. Understated.

I'm a big fan of your finish too. Wetsanding at higher grits and using only a few coats of finish really makes for a great looking and feeling finish. Dontcha just love touching it?!

gary Zimmel
04-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Nice work on these stout tables David. The grain on the tops is a real eye catcher.

keith ouellette
04-28-2011, 8:00 AM
They look great. I think its really cool that you harvested that wood from your own property. kudos.