PDA

View Full Version : Serious Toolworks Turning Tools and Handle

Joe Vincent 63
04-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Does anyone have experience using the turning tools or handle from Serious Tool Works?

www.serioustoolworks.com

They appear to be very well made, but fairly new to market, as I can't find any reviews or comments on them.

Joe

David Walser
04-20-2011, 11:17 PM
I picked up the handle along with a 1/2" spindle gouge at last February's Desert Woodturning Roundup. So far, I'm very impressed with both. I'll post a full review soon, but for now, I'll just say I highly recommend both the handle and the gouge.

Reed Gray
04-21-2011, 1:35 AM
They don't say which type of steel they use. I know some years back it was A 11 or some thing like that, and not M2 HSS. I have one friend who has their cam lock handle and really likes it.

robo hippy

Glenn Roberts
04-21-2011, 3:41 AM
Joe, while I have not used their handle it looks very similar to the Exocet handle that I have. while cam lock handles are OK , they are very limited. IMO. A collet style handle, like the Kelton ER handles are so much more versatile. It is the lack of versatility with cam lock handles that prompted the idea for collet handles.

Joshua Dinerstein
04-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Their web page says that all of their cutting tools and scraping tools are made from A2 tool steel. My understanding is that A2 is not HSS. So it would be something else. Presumably something not as good at holding an edge etc... But I have no real clue about the exact properties of A2 tool steels.

Joe Vincent 63
04-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Joe, while I have not used their handle it looks very similar to the Exocet handle that I have. while cam lock handles are OK , they are very limited. IMO. A collet style handle, like the Kelton ER handles are so much more versatile. It is the lack of versatility with cam lock handles that prompted the idea for collet handles.

Glenn,

I saw a collet style handle at Hannes Tools, and was looking at those as well, but they require a wrench. I thought it was neat that no tools were needed with the Serious handle but maybe it isn't that big of a deal ...

I am learning to sharpen bowl gouges and am quickly going through an expensive Crown bowl gouge, so I thought being able to purchase and use only steel would save me $ in the long run, plus some of the handles (like from Hannes) look more comfortable.

Joe

Reed Gray
04-21-2011, 1:39 PM
Joshua,
Yea, it was A 2 steel, and it does not hold a good edge. I had a couple of their scrapers and gave them away.

robo hippy

Dan Forman
04-21-2011, 2:11 PM
A2 is subject to burning when grinding too, I'd stay away from it.

Dan

Joe Vincent 63
04-21-2011, 6:47 PM
Thanks everyone for the great information! From reading the other threads, it looks like Thompson tools are the favorite of many of you. The only gouge I have is the Crown Pro-PM 3/8". I haven't been really impressed with the edge on the tool, but that could be my current state of sharpening skills.

Joe

Vince Welch
04-22-2011, 12:01 AM
Hi Joe,
I can tell you that I have used the Serious Handle with the camlocks and it is a very nice handle. The length is about 18" and I need to weigh the handle because I am not sure of the exact weight but it has a nice weight to it not being too heavy or too light. The camlock is very nice and the handle is covered with a durable comfortable foam. I really like this handle. Vince

Jon Prouty
04-22-2011, 1:28 AM
Hi Joe,

Take a look at Doug's handles... I have two and will be buying more. I thought a metal handle would be uncomfortable or slippery or not nice but I was dead wrong. These handles are awesome! I love that I can easily change out the tool with a simple Allen wrench (takes 30 seconds). I love the heft and the best part is that they don't roll. I never considered how awesome that simple aspect is but I can't express how nice it is to lay a tool on the ways of the lathe and it not move.

Whatever you end up with, post pics - we all love pictures.

Jon

Joe Vincent 63
04-22-2011, 6:53 AM
Hi Joe,
I can tell you that I have used the Serious Handle with the camlocks and it is a very nice handle. The length is about 18" and I need to weigh the handle because I am not sure of the exact weight but it has a nice weight to it not being too heavy or too light. The camlock is very nice and the handle is covered with a durable comfortable foam. I really like this handle. Vince

Hi Vince,

Can the handle be used with Doug Thompson's steel tools?

Joe

Joe Vincent 63
04-22-2011, 7:05 AM
Hi Joe,

Take a look at Doug's handles... I have two and will be buying more. I thought a metal handle would be uncomfortable or slippery or not nice but I was dead wrong. These handles are awesome! I love that I can easily change out the tool with a simple Allen wrench (takes 30 seconds). I love the heft and the best part is that they don't roll. I never considered how awesome that simple aspect is but I can't express how nice it is to lay a tool on the ways of the lathe and it not move.

Whatever you end up with, post pics - we all love pictures.

Jon

I will John. I plan to try to hook up with Doug. I just found out that he is based about 25 minutes from me, and I think he is in the same turning club (NCT) I joined last month.

One way or another, I will have a platter to show one of these days :)

Joe

Bill Blasic
04-22-2011, 8:10 AM
The handle can use Doug Thompson's tools.

David Walser
04-23-2011, 8:04 AM

Glenn,

Their cam lock handle is designed to be used with collets. For my 1/2" spindle gouge, I needed to purchase a 1/2" collet. (IIRC, you don't need a collet for a 3/4" diameter tool, just for anything smaller.) The difference between the Kelton collet handle and the Serious collet handle is the way the collets are tightened. The Serious cam lock has the advantages of being quicker (a 1/4 turn locks the tool or unlocks the tool from the handle) and being smaller in diameter (the Kelton tools have a larger "knuckle" at the tool end of the the handle). The Kelton tools might have the advantage of a greater range of movement. That is, if the tool's tang is slightly under sized or over sized, the Kelton handle might accommodate a greater range of under/over size. I don't know that for sure. I have a Thompson and a Serious 1/2" spindle gouge that were purchased the same day. There's about 2/100's of an inch difference between the diameters of the two tools. The Serious cam lock with it's 1/2" collet holds both gouges securely. The only difference is the one tool requires just under a 1/4 turn to lock the tool into the handle and the other requires just over a 1/4 turn. Had the difference in size been much greater, another collet might have been needed to handle the more under sized tool.

Note: Many collets only grip something that's within 1/32" of the collet's nominal size. 1/32" is just over 3/100's of an inch, so the Kelton may or may not have a greater range of movement than the Serious cam lock.

David Walser
04-23-2011, 8:19 AM

I saw a collet style handle at Hannes Tools, and was looking at those as well, but they require a wrench. I thought it was neat that no tools were needed with the Serious handle but maybe it isn't that big of a deal ...

One of the neat things about the Serious handle is that you can easily change how far your tool extends out of the handle (assuming the tool doesn't have a tang, but is a constant diameter along its length). A quick 1/4 turn and you can extend the tool farther out or shorten it up. That may not sound like a feature you'd want or need, but I've found myself using it a lot. For some delicate cuts, I've found myself griping the blade of the tool with the wooden handle/ferrule in the heel of the palm of my hand. I wasn't holding the tool that way because I found gripping the blade more comfortable. I was doing it because I wanted my hand to be closer to the cutting edge. With the Serious tool handle, I can simply stuff more of the tool inside the handle and get my hand closer to the action while still gripping the handle. What a concept!

Of course, you can do the same thing with most metal handles. Just use a hex key to back out the set screws (or a wrench to loosen the collet) and you can slide the handle in or out to best meet your needs. The difference is that the Serious cam lock makes the operation so quick it becomes second nature.

Joe Vincent 63
04-23-2011, 11:03 PM
Thanks, David, great points!

Joe

Joe Vincent 63
08-24-2011, 1:01 PM
I picked up the handle along with a 1/2" spindle gouge at last February's Desert Woodturning Roundup. So far, I'm very impressed with both. I'll post a full review soon, but for now, I'll just say I highly recommend both the handle and the gouge.

David,

Did you ever post your review? I am getting ready to pull the plug on a purchase, and the handle can make a difference in which iron I purchase for the various tools / sizes going forward.

Joe

Joe Vincent 63
08-26-2011, 1:58 PM
David,

Last question - any regrets in using the Serious handle in the time that has elapsed since your purchase? How has the serious spindle gouge steel held up? Have you tried any of the ultragouges?

Thanks in advance, I know a lot of questions, but I am looking at the 5/8" ultragouge, and it is over $200 for the handle and steel, and for that one, they don't tell what kind of steel it is. Although this is directed at David from this 4 month old thread, anyone with more recent experience that would wish to comment - those comments would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Joe

Andrew Kertesz
08-26-2011, 2:38 PM
If you're looking in that range for tools take a look at Glaser HiTec tools.

Harvey M. Taylor
08-26-2011, 3:22 PM
I just talked to Serious last Mon. and ordered the 2 collets I dont have. With their handle I can change cutters before most people can find their allen wrench. They speak very highly of Thompson tools having the right dinension to fit their handle. They are coming out with a three eights and five eights cutting tools that are just under carbon steel hardness, The flute goes the full 12 in.length, so you can have a cutter at both ends. Nothing but the best as far as I am concerned.Max