PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a Delta 22-660 Planer

Dave Beauchesne
04-20-2011, 10:25 PM
I have an opportunity to pick up a Delta 22-660 planer ( 1 phase, 220v, 2 hp ) have not seen it in person yet. - Probably a USA made version - does anyone out there have one - general feedback would be appreciated. Flaws, problems, that sort of thing. I have a mechanical background, so I am confident on that part of things.

As well, has anyone converted one of these to a helical cutterhead? Any advice on that would be appreciated also.

Thanks;

Dave Beauchesne

Chip Lindley
04-20-2011, 11:25 PM
The 22-660 (DC-33) was the 2nd iteration of Delta's 4-post 13" planer, following the original RC-33. This model does not have bed rolls, uses a C-face motor mount, and has a more complicated worm and gear transmission for powering the infeed/outfeed rollers. For all it lacks compared to the RC-33, it does have jack screws in the cutterhead for knife height adjustment. That is a definite plus! It is a single-speed planer; with a black knob up front/left to disengage the feed rolls in any emergency. A dust hood was a cast iron accessory and is another definite plus if included. Otherwise you will have to fashion something yourself, as the original hood is extinct now.

If the planer functions when you view it, chances are it will serve you well as long as you own it. It should start up without any undue grinding, clanking, knocking noises, and whir with a business-like mechanical sound of motor and cutterhead in motion. The infeed and outfeed rollers should turn and pull wood through the machine tenaciously.

If you get the chance to see it plane, feed some wood in at the extreme left or right side of the table. Knives are apt to be a bit sharper there, unless the owner has installed sharp knives.

The DC-33 is definately worth having and using if in good condition. I doubt if a hobby individual has hurt it much! I see them go for less than $500 on CL. Helical head? Prepare for sticker shock if contemplating a Byrd head for this old planer; over $1000! Not worth it IMO.

David Kumm
04-20-2011, 11:40 PM
The dc 33 while not as popular as the rc 33 with the owwm guys is a pretty good little planer. I put a byrd head on mine and it is not cheap but pretty easy to do. It doesn't require much tear down. A couple of hours. I use mine as a finish planer and it has all but replaced my drum sander smaller stuff. I also put a wixey on it which works well. Wixey's can be problematic but that one works . Allows for exact repeatiblility. I really like it for that pupose but have a big planer for the heavy rough work. The byrd head does all it promised. The finish is very good, and watching grain isn't very important anymore. It does take more power however than a straight knife head so the motor can't hog much off. I believe they were made primarily in Taiwan. The rc were made in Brazil. Dave

Dave Beauchesne
04-22-2011, 1:11 AM
Thanks for the replies gentlemen - I will have a peek at it in the next couple days. Hopefully it isn't trashed !!

Dave Beauchesne