PDA

View Full Version : Transformed

Roland Martin
04-20-2011, 9:03 PM
Back in January, I posted a small maple burl turning with a very small pedestal, way too small of a pedestal. Thank you for all your input, it was all a great help.
I put it aside until I had a clearer plan on what to do with it, then came David D. & John H. with their parfaits & flowers, both lovely turnings and gave me an itch to give that type of form a try.
This is the one I posted back in January for comparison, I'm pleased with the direction I went on this, but please give me your thoughts, my mind's "always open".
The new version is 3 3/4" x 9" OA. x 3/32" thick on the cup. The maple burl cup & cherry burl dome are finished with AO and 6 coats of clear gloss lacquer, not buffed. The pedestal and finial is maple, with 6 coats of black gloss lacquer.
As you can see, I had a terrible time with the reflections, I really need to get a tent.
Thanks for looking.

Ron Bontz
04-20-2011, 9:15 PM
My thoughts plain and simple. Just beautiful. My complements.

Steve Campbell
04-20-2011, 9:20 PM
I think you really hit it out of the ballpark this time. I would be very proud of that.

Steve

Roger Chandler
04-20-2011, 9:26 PM
Wow! Roland, this is very nice indeed! Great form.........a real improvement over the original. Your pedestal and finial have simple straight lines that are not seen very often on them, but this is an overall special work. I think your inner "R-teeeest" is shining through just a little! Congratulations on a nice work!

John Hart
04-20-2011, 9:34 PM
Whoa! That thing's great Roland!!! The whole piece really needs to be looked at to digest all the details. I love what you did with the stem going narrow down. Wonderful.

David Reed
04-20-2011, 9:39 PM
Wow this is a winner. The pedestal is a great improvement and I especially like the way you reproduced the ogee in the finial, the lid and the base (twice!). And the burl of the lid is great.

Scott Hackler
04-20-2011, 9:44 PM
Great job Roland. I like this one!

Bernie Weishapl
04-20-2011, 10:20 PM
Roland all I can say is it is simply beautiful. Well done.

Tim Thiebaut
04-21-2011, 12:13 AM
Talk about a difference from one to the other, this new one is beautiful.

Michelle Rich
04-21-2011, 4:43 AM
ZOWIE Roland..it sure looks wonderful. Are you pleased? You oughta be, it's gorgeous!

John Keeton
04-21-2011, 7:13 AM
Roland, this piece has very good proportions, and the style is very nice. I like the gentle ogee on the cup, and the contrasting materials show well together. Great job!!

Roland Martin
04-21-2011, 7:28 AM
Thanks a bunch to all. I'm not able to find much time to turn, which lengthens the learning process, but when I can, I feel like I'm in heaven, such a relaxing hobby. I went through 3 pedestals and 2 finials in this process, not enough experience and trying to get too detailed. So I decided to step back and simplify both pieces, taking out some challenging details I was trying to acheive. Sometimes you just have to tell yourself you're just not ready for certain things. I guess I'll just have to find time, get myself a collet chuck and practice on finials and pedestals.
Not to say that I'm unhappy about how the end result is, I guess at this stage, this is the level I'm at.
Thanks again.

bob svoboda
04-21-2011, 9:24 AM
You nailed it! Really nice, Roland.

dan carter
04-21-2011, 9:35 AM
Very nice job, Roland. You did good.

Darren Jamieson
04-21-2011, 10:19 AM
There is nothing to dislike about this one. The reverse on the pedistal is a great idea one which I would have never thought of, Two thumbs up!!!!

Baxter Smith
04-21-2011, 9:33 PM
Nice job Roland! I really like the shape of the cup and the way you tied things together between the finial and pedestal. There is something about the pedestal and finial that don't quite appeal to me though I am not quite sure why. Maybe it is the straight lines/taper. Perhaps if they were a barely perceptable curve. I am curious about your perceptions of them when you said you weren't unhappy but..... at this stage this is the level I am at. Think back to where you were a year ago at this time. If one could make as much progress in the next year as you did in this past one.....:)

David E Keller
04-21-2011, 9:40 PM
Pretty piece, Roland. I agree with Baxter about the straight lines in the finial and pedestal, but overall, this is a killer piece!

Harry Robinette
04-21-2011, 10:30 PM
Very nice piece Rolan I think you got it just right.

Roland Martin
04-22-2011, 8:15 AM
Nice job Roland! I really like the shape of the cup and the way you tied things together between the finial and pedestal. There is something about the pedestal and finial that don't quite appeal to me though I am not quite sure why. Maybe it is the straight lines/taper. Perhaps if they were a barely perceptable curve. I am curious about your perceptions of them when you said you weren't unhappy but..... at this stage this is the level I am at. Think back to where you were a year ago at this time. If one could make as much progress in the next year as you did in this past one.....:)

Thank you, Baxter. Putting it that way, you're right in that I have progressed over the year and certainly feel much more comfortable in the entire process. It's the design and execution of finials and pedestals that I'm having a tough time getting the hang of and gets the best of me at times. Doesn't everybody want instant gratification and perfection:confused::D

John Hart
04-22-2011, 8:59 AM
.... Doesn't everybody want instant gratification and perfection:confused::D

I think too slow to be instantly gratified. :o