PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this form??

David Reed
04-20-2011, 6:10 PM
I roughed out this form actually several years back now. Since I now have a steady rest and should be seeing a hollowing system soon, I thought it was time to revisit this. The first pic (with the steady) is what it has looked like for the past several years. I thought I liked it but I learned that straight sides are not a happening thing, I thought I would give it some more shape. I think I liked it better before. I think I need to soften and lower the shoulder a bit but don't want to cut away until I have nothing left so thought I would look to the experts for advise. I was considering a collar and perhaps a short finial (about 1/3 the height of the vase). Any way, tell me what you think I should do to help this lovely piece of wood achieve its potential.
Thanks

Roger Chandler
04-20-2011, 6:15 PM
I would lower the shoulder and make a bit of a graceful curve up to the collar, and then add a finial as a top off. The form on the side has a bit of a flat spot a little over half way from the bottom..........I would rework the curve to a smaller foot, and try to eliminate that flat area..........otherwise, this is pretty nice and will make a great form. Really nice wood!

You could even make the form a little more interesting by making a foot/pedestal on it.............which would add visual interest and make the vase part not quite as deep..........that would make a nice mantle piece for sure. Come in from the bottom with a cut back towards the main body, and then form a nice ogee to make a short pedestal...............it would be a looker...............just my $.02, and some ideas.

Chip Sutherland
04-20-2011, 6:31 PM
If you are going for an organic form, the shoulder is too high. When I want an organic shape, I look at seeds in nature (images.google.com). If you are going for a more formal shape, it is pretty good. If you plan on a collar or finial, you might want to lower/soften the shoulder a little to get a smooth transition. I've got a piece in a chuck right now that is several years old but since I had hollowed it already....there is little I can do to change. It is what it is.

John Hart
04-20-2011, 6:36 PM
Just my humble opinion, but I think it looks better now, than before. :)

Because I am notorious....if it were me, this would definitely be a vase with a mouth....and an opposite curve sweeping up from the shoulder. However, if you are thinking along the lines of a collar and finial, it seems that the shoulder should be softened and then into a dome for the top.

It's gonna be a beautiful piece no matter what. :)

John Keeton
04-20-2011, 6:47 PM
David, good comments so far. I definitely think you have improved the profile of the piece, and I would lower the shoulder area to create a nice, soft roll into the collar area. That way, you can carry the curve into the collar and finial. You are certainly right about it being a beautiful piece of wood!!! What are the dimensions?

Gene Hintze
04-20-2011, 6:54 PM
Reminds my of my old girlfriend. Kind of a chunky butt. Oh wait, did I say that?!?!

David DeCristoforo
04-20-2011, 7:01 PM
All good advices (is that a word? advices?) so far. I took the liberty of lining out what I think would be a more pleasing form or at least one possibility... maybe even a bit narrower at the base. Steve Schlumpf has done a lot of these tall vase forms. I'm sure he will pop in and offer some suggestions...

Gene Hintze
04-20-2011, 7:06 PM
Looked at the photo again and I had it upside down. My Bad!!! If only my old girlfriend would have had that much on top. But I digress. I agree with John in taking the shoulder down a notch or two. It would provide a more pleasing form in my view. Add more pics to keep us apprised of yout progress.

David E Keller
04-20-2011, 7:07 PM
What a nice looking piece of wood! I like the form DD outlined there, but I'm leaning more toward a Hart type form with a tall collar. Lots of choices with potential.

Andrew Arndts
04-20-2011, 7:24 PM
Nothing, this is what the wood wanted to become right? I see a Ming type vase in the shape...

Dick Wilson
04-20-2011, 7:49 PM
All good advices (is that a word? advices?) so far. I took the liberty of lining out what I think would be a more pleasing form or at least one possibility... maybe even a bit narrower at the base. Steve Schlumpf has done a lot of these tall vase forms. I'm sure he will pop in and offer some suggestions...

I do not have a clue how you did that David, but the lines really give us a visual on design changes. I agree with you. I think Roger's suggestion regarding the foot/pedestal with a shorter body would work nicely.

David Reed
04-20-2011, 8:14 PM
I left the flatish area as I did not want to remove more material until I had a better plan.
Very interesting thought. I will consider this.

[QUOTE=John Hart;1688609]Just my humble opinion, but I think it looks better now, than before. :)

Because I am notorious....if it were me, this would definitely be a vase with a mouth....and an opposite curve sweeping up from the shoulder. However, if you are thinking along the lines of a collar and finial, it seems that the shoulder should be softened and then into a dome for the top.:)
Sounds kinda like Roger's thoughts in reverse.

David, good comments so far. I definitely think you have improved the profile of the piece, and I would lower the shoulder area to create a nice, soft roll into the collar area. That way, you can carry the curve into the collar and finial. You are certainly right about it being a beautiful piece of wood!!! What are the dimensions?
I was just getting nervous about cutting away more material as it was not coming together.
Currently it is 11" tall, 6.5 diam. I can foresee turning down to about 4" x 1.4" before I get it right. This is what I get for trying to plan!

All good advices (is that a word? advices?) so far. I took the liberty of lining out what I think would be a more pleasing form or at least one possibility... maybe even a bit narrower at the base.
Thanks David for the input. (and thanks for rotating it - I forgot to do this). I like the lines you developed here. I am assuming the widest point should be about 1/3 of the way down from the top. I am just concerned of getting the base too narrow. What is too narrow here? Can you get too narrow if it still stands up?

What a nice looking piece of wood! I like the form DD outlined there, but I'm leaning more toward a Hart type form with a tall collar. Lots of choices with potential.
Guess I will get it down on paper.

Thanks for all the great comments. Guess I will break out the graph paper and pencil and see what developes.

Tim Thiebaut
04-20-2011, 8:39 PM

I like this variation that DD has done a lot, just seems like a more pleaseing form to me.

Baxter Smith
04-20-2011, 8:39 PM
Pretty wood. I am looking forward to seeing it finished in what ever shape you come up with!

Steve Schlumpf
04-20-2011, 9:54 PM
David - lots of potential with this blank! I like David D's drawing - shows you one option. Here are a few more examples just to give you additional styles to consider.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=8&attachmentid=172773
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=8&attachmentid=172182
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=8&attachmentid=171726

Looking forward to seeing the vase once finished!

Bernie Weishapl
04-20-2011, 10:08 PM
David that is going to make one pretty piece. I have to agree with the rest and Steve shows you 3 good ones.

Jonathan Spool
04-20-2011, 10:08 PM
David,
I knew what I would suggest, but had no idea as how to express it well. However, David D. did it perfectly! Right down to suggesting making the foot a little smaller than the sketch shows.

BILL DONAHUE
04-20-2011, 10:36 PM
Ditto on David D's comments.

David Reed
04-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Unfortunately for me, I will have no shop time until the first of the week. Thanks for all the great input.

Chip Sutherland
04-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Bingo on the visual for an organic shape.