PDA

View Full Version : Question for you Minimax guys

Matt Allan
02-01-2005, 7:37 PM
Going to be upgrading my saw when I get moved into our new house in March, was curious how the sliding table saws from Minimax are shipped.. Are they in a couple boxes and need put together or dropped off in one enormous hunk. Even if it comes in pieces, is it possible to get one into a basement shop?

I was looking at the SC4W and before I research too much it would be nice to know if the thing would even get in the shop. I have double doors into the house, but then the basement would be your typical door frame. I was assuming there would be no way, but I thought I would ask. If not I think I will be happy with a PM66.

Kind of stinks having my shop in the basement with no other access out, but the basement is huge and I will have nearly all of it for shop space. It was the biggest fault of the house for me, but I will just have to make it work.

Thanks

Bill Grumbine
02-01-2005, 8:21 PM
Hi Matt

I bought a combo machine, the CU 300 Smart, and it comes in one giant box. I suspect that the regular table saw comes the same way, although the box would be a little smaller. Which machine are you looking at, and how does its specs compare with the size of the door you have to get it into the basement?

If you go to:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13529&highlight=Minimax

you can see a picture of the box mine came in, 8' slider and all, courtesy of Jim Becker and his Maxwell Smart camera phone.

Bill

Matt Allan
02-01-2005, 8:30 PM
Well if its 1 box its out for sure.. EVEN if that fit in the door the saw is close to 1000lbs, I don't that would be fun taking down the steps :)

My only hope was it coming in a few smaller boxes and needing some assembly, I didn't think it did but I figured I would find out before I ruled it out.

I was looking at the SC4 W

Thanks for the reply.

Richard Wolf
02-01-2005, 8:57 PM
Matt, I think you should be thinking about installing Bilco doors to the basement. A basement shop can be difficult if your access is always limited and it sounds like your serious about woodworking. You may not be building boats down there, but sooner or later one of your projects is not going to get upstairs.

Matt Allan
02-01-2005, 9:16 PM
Richard,

I thought about that, but I don't think we will be in this house long enough to justify it. Long story short is.. We sold our house quicker than expected and got more than expected, so we found a nice big older house that we can could pay off that just needs a bit of work.. Going to fix it up and live there and save a lot of money with no mortgage for a while, then most likely build the house we want. I don't want to put too much money in this house that I cannot get out, and I don't think that is a feature I could get as much out as I would have to put in.

I was thinking about getting a quote though, it is wasn't too bad I would do it.. Do you have any idea how much the entire thing would run if it was contracted out? Dug, steps, sealed, etc.

Thanks

Matt

Richard Wolf
02-01-2005, 9:24 PM
No Matt, I could only guess. I'm sure there are a lot of variables, like foundation wall material, depth, topogarphy, etc. Also maybe if you helped with the digging you could save some money. I would think in the $2,000 range in NY would get it done. Also it is an improvement that a new homeowner might see as an asset.

Jim Becker
02-01-2005, 9:54 PM
The saws are shipped on a "giant box-covered pallet" as Bill mentioned. If you do a little searching, you can find the pics I posted of Bill's machine while it was still on said pallet...I helped prepare it for the show prior his taking it home. The machine is basically fully assembled, but portions of the slider are fastened down separately on the pallet. What you need to find out specifically from Mini Max is the necessary width and height you will need to be able to slide the machine down a ramp through your Bilco doors at the new property. And then...consider hiring a rigger or paying some strong local folks to help you do the deed. All of those machine are quite heavy!

I'm longing for an SC4W or ST3 myself (with an 8.5' slider) but that's now on hold for the forseable future due to a little family building project that Dr. SWMBO and I are undertaking. (Adoption)

Paul B. Cresti
02-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Matt,
The MiniMax sliding saws do come apart, much smaller than the combo's. The right "table board" (if you want to call a piece of steel a table board) comes off. The basic footprint of the saw like the SC4 on up is a "T" shape. I am not sure if it will fit through a 36" in width door. If you did make the width part the saws are quite heavy (my S315 weighs 1500lbs) and it may be better to hire a rigger but, plenty of people have got their machines down to their basements. As far as you basement access doors, yes it would most definately add to your house. The only thing is it will involve a lot of trades: excavator, mason and carpenters, and depending on how wide an opening you want you will most likely need an additional beam. IMHO I would do it. You may also look into the "prefab" concrete stair option. They are available around here but not sure in your area. The hole is dug, the house is supported as needed and the "concrete box" is dropped in. Check out Mershon concrete.

Norman Hitt
02-02-2005, 4:30 AM
I'm longing for an SC4W or ST3 myself (with an 8.5' slider) but that's now on hold for the forseable future due to a little family building project that Dr. SWMBO and I are undertaking. (Adoption)

Jim, congratulations on the new "Project". Even though it may slow down the Growth of the shop for a while, there are some definite benefits involved, and one of them is that for some reason, those little Scutters seem to have a knack of keeping you Young longer, and thus "More Years to Enjoy Woodworking.

:) :)

Mike Wilkins
02-02-2005, 8:25 AM
Go ahead and add the Bilco doors. The next owners of the house will appreciate an additional opening to the basement; you will appreciate the access capability for your woodworking needs, especially when you build something large; it will add to the value of the home.
Congrats on the saw.

Greg Mann
02-02-2005, 10:05 AM
Go ahead and add the Bilco doors. The next owners of the house will appreciate an additional opening to the basement; you will appreciate the access capability for your woodworking needs, especially when you build something large; it will add to the value of the home.
Congrats on the saw.
Yeah, I can hear the prospective new owner now. "I'll buy the house but the tablesaw has to stay." :rolleyes:

Greg

Ray Dockrey
02-02-2005, 11:25 AM
Not to hijack this thread but I wanted to tell Jim Becker congrats and good luck. My prayers are with you that things go well and smoothly for you and your wife. Please keep us informed.

Charlie Plesums
02-02-2005, 1:03 PM
Yeah, I can hear the prospective new owner now. "I'll buy the house but the tablesaw has to stay." :rolleyes:

Greg
That is when you know the deal is closed, and you are only talking about price. I would buy a MiniMax saw for every house if it cinched the deal.

Seriously though, I would do the Bilco doors, if nothing other than to get plywood in (and if you never use sheet goods, you don't need a big slider). I would make MiniMax tell you exactly how wide an opening you need. Some outside basement doors in older homes are fairly narrow - I have heard of less than 30 inches - which won't help with plywood either.

Rob Russell
02-03-2005, 7:03 PM
Matt,

One of the major reasons I went with Felder machinery was because it broke down and would fit down into a basement. Here's link to an earlier thread that includes some pics of the move, and those puppies are 1500+ pounds each. Thread link (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11989&page=3&pp=15).

Regardless of what you decide to buy, if you have questions about how I got the machines down - sing out.

Rob