PDA

View Full Version : Coloring a Lie-Nielsen Chisel Handle?

Bill Miltner
04-20-2011, 3:29 PM
Has anyon stained (or dyed) one of the hormbeam chisel handles from LN? I have a few A2 ond O1 LN chisels and I'd like to be able to easily identify which is which. I have never worked with Hornbeam and can't find much info on coloring it.

Lawrence Richards
04-20-2011, 3:39 PM
how about putting it on a lathe and turning a small ring into the handle to identify it? I did this with my turning tools and it works quite well
Lawrence

Bill Miltner
04-20-2011, 4:43 PM
If used a lathe I would turn new handle out of a different wood but I do not have or use a lathe.

David Weaver
04-20-2011, 4:57 PM
What about stamping numbers on them with a punch. Need easier identification from a long distance?

Color coded electrical tape on the sockets?

Johnny Kleso
04-20-2011, 5:00 PM
If you have a lathe or steady hand you can paint a ring around the handle..

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-20-2011, 5:06 PM
I have a couple old chisels that look nearly identical. I tell them apart by the which has the mallet marks on the end.

(one's ground at much too low an angle to be whacking)

I'd be tempted to take some abrasive cord, and use it to mark a couple of rings in the handle. Easy enough without a lathe.

Jon van der Linden
04-20-2011, 6:43 PM
Depends on how far you want to go... maybe a small inlay on the handle, a dot of contrasting wood is easy. If you want quick and dirty, a stripe on the blade with a sharpie is all you need.

On the other hand... if you keep them separate, it shouldn't be too hard to remember which are which, no need to be using different ones for the same task.

Sean Hughto
04-20-2011, 9:27 PM
I have an old swan that had a green handle when it came to me. I wondered why someone would make it green. Now I know. Wish I could tell you what they used to accomplish it - it's kind of transparent - like they mixed some green dye in with laquer or something.

Poor pic attached.