PDA

View Full Version : Toolrest: Robust style or the 1" round bar type?

Keith Palmer
04-20-2011, 2:34 PM
I am looking to purchase some smaller toolrests for my Powermatic (The OEM is just so big). I have not tried either the Robust style or the 1" round style. Has anyone tried both? What are your opinions? If you prefer the Robust, any opinions on the standard profile or the low profile?

I would like to support my local club member, Dave at D-way, but if there is a strong persuasion for the comfort rests I will give one of them a try.

Thanks for all the help here at SMC!!
Keith

David DeCristoforo
04-20-2011, 3:01 PM
I bought some of the 1" round style rests when I was first setting my shop up. MMHO is that they bite. They are simply not rigid enough if the tool is more than an inch or so from the center post. I have gotten very little use out of them and mostly use the "stock" iron rests which I keep polished and waxed. The rests that JN makes with the hardened steel rod on the top edge would be what I would get if I were buying them now.

Jim Heikes
04-20-2011, 3:05 PM
I have a 3520b. I now have 3 Robust of varying length. I will never go back to anything else.

Roger Chandler
04-20-2011, 3:13 PM
I have and use both the round and the robust style.........it depends on what the task is that dictates what rest I use. I have only had the robust for a few weeks, and the round for a good while. I think an issue with the round is a little flexing with the 3/4" size bar...........but if you get the full 1 inch bar, you should have plenty of strength there for most tasks. I have not had any problems with the 1 inch size.

For getting in close for finial work, I have gotten the low profile robust, and it has a thin bar across the top, which is nice, but it does not allow me to get any more of my index finger to the back side for support than the round rest, but I do like it a lot.

Dan Forman
04-20-2011, 3:28 PM
I have both, only use the Robust - like being able to stay close to the work.

Dan

David Walser
04-20-2011, 4:24 PM
Keith,

The major advantage of the Robust style tool rest is that it supports the cutting edge of your tool as close to the work as possible. With a 1" round bar tool rest, the point of your tool's support is at least 1/2" away from the blank. With the Robust style, the point of support can be less than 1/16" away from the blank. For a lot of operations, this doesn't make any difference. But, with smaller tools (such as a 1/4" skew), it's a huge difference. For example, picture yourself turning a finial and, due to the shape of the other elements of the finial, the small cove you're turning has to be at least 1" away from the Robust or 1.5" away from the round bar. Which tool rest would you rather use?

A minor advantage of the Robust style tool rest is that it keeps the tool post from getting in the way. The Robust's hardened tool support is above and forward of the tool post. In between is a smooth, curved channel that you can reference with the knuckle of your hand as you slide the tool from side to side along the tool rest. With the round bar tool rest, I reference my knuckle off the the underside of the tool rest. When sliding from side to side, my knuckle hits the tool post. It's not a big deal and I don't bruise my knuckle or anything like that; it's just not as smooth an operation.

A minor advantage of the round bar tool rest is that it makes it easier to reach from underneath the tool rest to support the turning. Some people like to support the cut by using their off hand to support the blank. In doing this, they will often use a thumb or finger to secure the tool to the tool rest while reaching underneath the tool rest with the rest of their hand to support the back side of the blank. This is harder to do with the Robust style tool rest.

As for whether to go with the standard or the low profile, I'd say it depends on the size of your hands. I wear large or x-large sized gloves and I find the standard profile comfortable. I've tried the low profile, but it's not as comfortable for me to use.

Richard Jones
04-20-2011, 4:27 PM
I just bought a round, curved rest, 6" radius, suitable for up to 16" bowls, or so the literature says. In reality, the tip is so far from the post, unsupported, that I am getting a lot of bounce, even on a fine cut. I am currently modifying it by welding a Robust-style gusset underneath. I'm very disappointed in this toolbar, as I have a 9" straight one of the same mfg. and absolutely love it. Especially nice on spindle work as I can get my finger underneath it easily for skew work. I turn some very large green bowls with it and it functions well.

The curved one has some room to slide through the post so as to shorten the distance to the center post a bit, but it is permanently fixed, so no joy there. Not the best design in the world, IMO.

So, not sure if this helps, but if you're just looking for a straight rest, as long as it's not over 5" or so from the center post, a round one should serve you well and may save you some money.

Rich (yeah, I'm disgusted) in VA

Thom Sturgill
04-20-2011, 4:40 PM
+1 for Robust style rests.

I too started with the round bar when I became unhappy with the stock rest. I then bought Robust rests for my Jet 1220 and never used the round bar rest again. When I upgraded to a Jet 1642, my first purchase was a pair of robust rests. Only the low profile was available for the mini, but I bought the comfort rests for the 1642. I think I *may* buy a low profile rest for small spindle work like finials, but since I tend to reach over the finial rather than under the rest to support the thin stock, it does not make much difference. There are some cuts where you support the TOOL by bracing your hand with a finger under the rest and the thinner rest would work better for that.

Chip Sutherland
04-20-2011, 4:45 PM
Robust. It is the most natural/comfortable one I have used. I use the standard profile. I regret not buying them earlier. I don't ever hook my finger under the tool rest.

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-20-2011, 4:49 PM
Keith,
Buy the Comfort Rest, not the low profile. I bought a low profile and I find I cannot get as close a small spindle as I would like. The Comfort Rest (the deeper style) is set more forward. If you do buy the low profile, you must order it with the long bar or it will not be high enough for the 3520.
faust

Jonathan Spool
04-20-2011, 4:57 PM
Keith,
I prefer a round rest for all my bowl and HF turning, as long as its at least 1" in diameter. The modular 3/4" rests leave a lot to be desired. I use a Robust style for spindle work where I want to be closer to the work with smaller tools (finials, pens, bottle stoppers, etc, etc.). 1" round rests lend themselves well for a turning style where your finger is under or around the rest for support, and the Robust good for a style where your fingers are up against the rest. Just my opinion and experience. Plan on owning multiple rests!

Reed Gray
04-20-2011, 5:29 PM
Another vote for the Robust rests. The drill rod makes friction a non issue, and they will not dent or ding. They do get closer to the work so that is a plus, but when turning bowls, I frequently reach out 3 or 4 inches, so not too much of an issue. I do have some round bar stock rests and never use them. The Robust bowl rests are super as well. The inside rest will not vibrate at all when you are working out on the tip like other deep bowl rests do.

robo hippy

Roland Martin
04-20-2011, 7:02 PM
Robust, hands down, IMO. Find it much more comfortable to use. I seldom use my round bars anymore.

Jim Adkins
04-20-2011, 7:41 PM
Robust for me.....I use the D-way beading tools with the flute down and this
exerts a lot of concentrated pressure on the toolrest/tool. Neither the Robust toolrest
nor the D-Way beading tool dent-up from use. I just spray with WD-40 wipe-down.

Joe Meirhaeghe
04-20-2011, 9:07 PM
Advanced Lathe Tools LLC. for me.
They have a hardened linear bar top & they are really heavy duty built. They are all hand made. They were building these before Robust came out with one.

Sean Hughto
04-20-2011, 9:13 PM
I have both. My main complaints about the round bars is that they screw together, and the screw can come loose, allowing the bar to move until you retighten it. Second, they tend to get dinged up more. Not as bad as the iron rest that some with many lathes, but worse than the Robust. I addition to my Robust straight comfort rest, I really like my Oneway curved bowl rests.

Chris Colman
04-21-2011, 6:43 PM
I really appreciate this thread, and all your comments.

I have been wanting to get a shorter tool rest, and was wondering which one to go for.

From your comments it sounds like Robust is going to get at least one more customer - me.

Jeff Nicol
04-21-2011, 11:18 PM
Of course I make everything that I use and I made a round one a while ago and I cut the rod in half to keep the tool close to blank. It works well and I use for for pen turning and finials, I have made a buch of different styles but go back to the same ones all the time.

Raining tonight and all day tomorrow so I will be in the shop all day moving things around and organizing......seems like a never ending battle!

Jeff

Keith Palmer
04-22-2011, 4:12 PM
Thank you all for your responses! Sounds like there will be another Robust customer soon. I had our local meeting last night and brought up the question to a few members there and they too highly recommended the Robust comfort rests.

Thanks again for the enlightening answers!!