PDA

View Full Version : question for mark singer

fred woltersdorf
02-01-2005, 6:17 PM
i noticed in your thread about office furniture you were making the drawers out of 1/2" apple ply using the kreg jig.i'm trying to make some drawers out of 1/2" baltic birch ply using the kreg jig and i'm having some trouble.the screws seem to be too close to the edge of the board.i set the collar stop at 1/2" on the step drill.any ideas or tips?thanks fred.

Steve Jenkins
02-01-2005, 6:29 PM
I can't tell for sure from your pic but did you drop in the little step-block to hold the piece higher?. It goes right at the base of the drill holes .

Mark Singer
02-01-2005, 7:38 PM
It looks like Steve has it ! You need the little riser blue plastic. It should be in the box. You use it with 1/2" material and you have to move the stop collar.

fred woltersdorf
02-01-2005, 9:34 PM
thanks steve and mark that was the problem,now to get some 1" screws.

Joseph N. Myers
02-02-2005, 3:45 PM
thanks steve and mark that was the problem,now to get some 1" screws.Fred,

(You probably know the following but just incase you mis-placed the manual, here is some pertinent information about the jig. BTW, I tried this 1/2" thing last year using the old style jig and the 1-1/4" screws, the smallest at time I bought the screws. Needless to say, didn't work. Bought the new jig in Nov and not works).

Just not any 1" screw. Kreg sells 3 different 1" screws types and the one they recommend for your application is ".... Pan Head Screws .... The coarse thread 1" screw (SPS-C1) is the recommended screw for assembling 1/2" plywood drawer boxes".

The pan head "... is slightly smaller in both head and shank diameter than the washer head screw and is a good alternative to the washer head screw if both mating workpieces are made of extremely hard woods. The pan head style is also of benefit in the 1" length as it allows one to join 1/2" material to 1/2" material and easily seat the screw head below flush".

The thing that both Steve and Mark referred to is called "modular blocks" and Kreg supplies them for 1/2 and 1-1/2 material. If you have other thickness, you can make your own by "... 1/8" change in spacer height will move the exit point of the screw 1/24" on the workpiece". I'll be using these numbers on some future projects using 5/8" and 7/8" thickness.

In any case, you gotta admit that the Kreg Jig is something else.

Regards, Joe