PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find an adapter bushing for a Delta benchtop mortiser?

Scott T Smith
04-20-2011, 11:54 AM
I have a Delta 14-650 hollow chisel mortiser. It uses the standard Delta 5/8" shank chisels, which limits it's capacity to 1/2". I would like to have the option to use it for larger diameter mortises.

I've noticed that most of the standard mortisers from other companies utilize a 3/4" shank chisel, instead of Delta's 5/8" shank, and that there are a lot of companies producing 3/4" shank bits.

My machine uses a 25mm o.d. (.984) bushing, with an I.D. of 5/8" (.625) where the chisel's fit into the mortiser.

CMT's 3/4" shank bits on Amazon reference that an adapter bushing is required to use their chisels with my Delta machine, however I can't find one listed anywhere.

Does anybody know where I can purchase an adapter bushing?

Thx.

Scott

Tony Joyce
04-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Scott,
The CMT web site or the catalog doesn't list any bushings, just the Mortise chisel & bit sets. You may have to get it made locally.

Chris Cohick
06-01-2015, 8:28 AM
Resurrecting a dinosaur thread. I am in the same predicament today. Scott, or anybody, other than custom machining, are there adapter bushings available for the Delta mortiser?

Marion Smith
06-01-2015, 10:08 AM
Can you post a picture of a 'bushing' and a drawing of what you want ?

Chris Cohick
06-01-2015, 11:24 AM

Thanks, Marion. This is the bushing I am referencing. It has an inside diameter of 5/8" and an outside diameter of 1", and it supports the shank of the chisel in my Delta 14-650 T2 mortiser. What I would like is the same piece with an inside diameter of 3/4" so I could use hollow mortising bits of that diameter.

Marion Smith
06-01-2015, 11:51 AM
Is it 1.000 on the O.D. or .984 ? Also need to know the over all length, diameter of the cross hole, where the center of the cross hole goes and the thickness and diameter of the flange. I will also need a precise measurement of the shanks on the mortising bits. A .750 shank will not fit in a .750 hole. Same with the O.D. of the bushing and the bore on your mortiser. Micrometer measurements are a must, a scale won't do it in this case.

Chris Cohick
06-01-2015, 2:09 PM
Well, you've made measure twice. That's what my Dad always told me to do to begin with. ;-)

You are correct, when I put the calipers on the OD, and set it to a digital readout, it does indeed register 0.984 O.D. Overall length is 1.142. I get 0.405 for the diameter of the cross hole which is centered at 0.5 from the flange end. The flange is 0.125 thick with a flange diameter of 1.1825. The shank of the bits comes in at 0.745 diameter. For the bore on the mortiser, I get 0.985. The OD on the "bore" of the mortiser is tough as it is a conical shape, part of the housing of the machine.

Earl McLain
06-01-2015, 2:21 PM
I didn't see this before replying to the other thread. I'd be willing to bet that the Jet JBM-5 bushings will work. Readily available.
earl

Lee Schierer
06-01-2015, 2:29 PM
I made an identical bushing from a 1" flanged oilite bearing. You can easily file down the O.D. to fit into the mortiser housing.

Rick Potter
06-02-2015, 3:34 AM
I would check large hardware or tool stores that used to carry Delta stuff. There is a place near me that has a repair shop in the store (Tools R Us). They may very well still have some of those around. I would also check at Porter Cable repair centers. I have picked up some out of date stuff there too. Battels hardware in Whittier CA. was a BIG Delta supplier. Maybe give them a jingle......ah, text, e-mail...contact them.

Chris Cohick
06-04-2015, 9:03 AM
I found this link in another thread. Might have the answer! http://www.drill-bushings.com/index.htm

Curt Harms
06-05-2015, 8:26 AM
Toolpartsdirect.com says they have 'em. Part # 1346469 $5.86. However, it says "ships in 30-120 business days". I'm not sure that inspires confidence.

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/delta-14-650-hollow-chisel-mortiser-14-650.html

One thing I'd check on before ordering from drill-bushing.com, make sure they're not too hard to be able to drill the cross hole. I don't know if bushings like that are hardened or not.