PDA

View Full Version : General Bandsaw Blade Recommendation

Andrew Kertesz
04-20-2011, 8:11 AM
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a Rikon 14" 10-325 at my local WC. The owner said prices will be going up soon so I am not going to wait on a sale. Anyhow, I am looking for recommendations for a general purpose blade recommendation. They will sell me one at 50% of when I buy the saw. Any suggestions?

Bruce Wrenn
04-20-2011, 9:26 PM
1/4", 6TPI, 0.025, hook pattern, bi-metal blade. Set it and forget it. Been running this blade on my main saw for over 12 years now. Check with John over at Woodcraftbands.com

David Kumm
04-21-2011, 12:05 AM
I agree with Bruce. Starrett makes a great bimetal blade as well. That blade is good for scroll type work and can also resaw up to 6" stock just fine- maybe more. I tension mine pretty tight. Dave

Myk Rian
04-21-2011, 8:13 AM
+3
A 1/4" blade is a great all purpose way to go.

Joe Angrisani
04-21-2011, 8:24 AM
Here's a great old thread on bandsaw blades:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?149862-Lets-talk-bandsaw-blades%21

David Hawxhurst
06-29-2012, 12:29 PM
I agree with Bruce. Starrett makes a great bimetal blade as well. That blade is good for scroll type work and can also resaw up to 6" stock just fine- maybe more. I tension mine pretty tight. Dave

i used a 1/4" 6tpi and sawed 11" stuff (stool seats) with no issues. the seats have a slight curve to make them more comfortable.

Van Huskey
06-29-2012, 2:32 PM
One thing to consider is 50% off prepackaged blades may only make them equal to what one normally pays for good bandstock welded for you. I do understand you want to have a better blade than stock when you get home though. If your WC has Olson in stock pick it over Timberwolf and pay the extra for a Olson MVP bi-metal blade if they have that. 1/4" 6TPI skip would be my first choice of blade. Then get your thoughts together and order what you need or find a local industrial supply that welds blades. Two online sources are Spectrum Supply and Woodcraftbands a third source that you must call is Iturra Designs and Lou is a huge resource for many other things regarding bandsaws.