PDA

View Full Version : Rojek MSP315 Planer/Jointer Combo machine

ed vitanovec
04-19-2011, 11:03 PM
Anyone have one of these or have seen one in person? I have been looking into this machine and have never been able to see one in person. I'd like to know how the quality is and how well they perform. Its hard to consider buying one of these sight unseen.

Thanks!
Ed

John Lanciani
04-20-2011, 7:01 AM
I have the big brother to it, the MSP 415. I've had it for 6 years with no problems and no regrets. I put it on Great lakes casters, and last year I ponied up and had Byrd make a head for it. It is an easy machine to use and to maintain, money well spent in my opinion.

I

ed vitanovec
04-20-2011, 11:31 PM
John,

Thanks for your input and pictures. With the fence in the current picture location does the mount stick out past the back of the machine quite a ways?
Also to like the tables is the lock down in the back of the machine?
Thanks!
Ed

John Lanciani
04-21-2011, 7:24 AM
Hi Ed,

Yes, the fence mount sticks out about 14" behind the machine when it is all the way back. That is the penalty of a 16" jointer with a center mounted fence. The tables tilt forward so the locks are to the rear, they're easy enough to reach, located just behind and below the rear edge of the tables.

ed vitanovec
04-23-2011, 6:42 PM
John,
Is it easy to reach over the tables and unlock the beds to lift them? Also are the beds heavy when lifted and lowered? Have you compared the quality of the european machines verses the Jet and Grizzly's? I have seen the Jet but none of the other brands, there are big price differences and I'm thinking the quality too is greater on the european machines.
Regards!
Ed

John Paul Cummings
04-23-2011, 8:25 PM
I think the Hammer series of machines are work a look. Have fun shopping. www.hammerusa.com

John Lanciani
04-24-2011, 8:05 AM
Hi Ed,

The tables are a snap to unlock, you can reach over or under to get to the handle. The beds are fairly heavy, but no heavier than some of the pieces of wood that I put over it. As far as quality, they are at least equal to the older Mini-max (yellow) machines, not quite as polished as the newer MM or the new Hammer machines though they are every bit as solid as them. My MSP 415 weighs almost 900 lbs. There is no comparison to the JET, it is a toy next to the Rojek. I've never seen the Grizzly in person, but my impression of their first ones, that I believe were made by Sheppach in Germany, is that they were a pretty close copy of the Rojek machines. I don't think that their current machines are coming from the same source but I really don't know.

I'm fortunate that I bought all of my European machinery when the exchange rate was much better than it is today. Looking at current prices I would probably have to either scale back or go in a different direction than I did.

ed vitanovec
05-10-2011, 12:01 AM
John,

Does your jointer have a reversing switch?

Thanks!
Ed

Norman Hitt
05-10-2011, 2:07 AM
John,

Does your jointer have a reversing switch?

Thanks!
Ed

A Reversing Switch on a Jointer????????????? My MM FS 350 sure doesn't have one, and I sure wouldn't want my Tersa Blades touching anything in reverse.

John Lanciani
05-10-2011, 6:43 AM
Actually it does have a reversing switch. I don't have the mortiser (yet) but it makes it much easier to source bits if you don't have to use lefties.

Norman Hitt
05-10-2011, 8:06 AM
Actually it does have a reversing switch. I don't have the mortiser (yet) but it makes it much easier to source bits if you don't have to use lefties.

Aha, Learn something new every day, shows how well I keep up with the "New Tool Gadgets".:rolleyes: I do have the mortiser attachment and it does require left turning birdsmouth bits.:)

Oh well, as forgetful as I'm getting, it's probably good that I don't have a reversing switch.:D

ed vitanovec
05-10-2011, 9:11 PM
I bought a used MSP315 with mortiser and it does not have the reversing switch, I'm going to add one. Does this look to be easy to install and wire?

Regards!
Ed