PDA

View Full Version : Grease in brace chuck?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-19-2011, 9:28 PM
I don't have a lot of experience with different braces, I've had what I've had and they've worked okay; I've cleaned off the gunk, and oil where there's oil holes and called it a day if they work. I picked up another Stanley 923 the other day; hoping to give it to a friend. It works well enough, but the jaws don't always retract all the way when the chuck is screwed back. Not a big deal, give 'em a push in as you retract 'em, but mine doesn't do that. The spring seems to be installed properly and tensioned okay. It seems like someone greased the inside of the chuck at some point. I'm not good at telling what old grease is, but it seems like the viscosity of the stuff I use on bicycle parts.

Never had a brace (of the few I've had) that has had grease in the chuck. Seems like this old nasty grease is probably the problem, and I'll most likely clean it out and see how things work, but I've never thought about it - should there ever be grease in there? Seems like a no to me, but I don't really know much.

Just another reason to go spofford, I suppose!

Ron Conlon
04-20-2011, 8:36 AM
I gave my four year old son a Stanley eggbeater drill that I got at a local auction with some other tools. After he played with it a while I noticed the chuck was packed with grease. It was a big mess getting on the end of bits and such. I cleaned it out. I don't think a coat of oil or a dab of grease would hurt anything, but this was packed. Not needed.

Johnny Kleso
04-20-2011, 10:14 AM
The Ratchet should be greases not the chuck jaws, they should be clean..