PDA

View Full Version : new guy

cal thelen
04-19-2011, 8:53 PM
Hello I am new to the forum and relatively new to turning. I have done tons of pens and bottle stoppers and now started on some bowls. after looking at some of the posted projects here i am almost scared to post mine. everyone seems so talented. but here goes this is my second attempt at a segmented bowl. the first one i had a big catch and ended up tearing out a big chunk of the rim. this one came out a little better. oak and purpleheart. my biggest problem seems to be hollowing out the bowl. I have been using mainly a small bowl gouge then finishing up with a sorby carbide multi scraper. any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank You

Ken Fitzgerald
04-19-2011, 8:56 PM
Nice looking bowl Cal!

Welcome to the Creek.

Roland Martin
04-19-2011, 9:05 PM
Welcome, Cal. Nice job on the segmented bowl. Thanks for joining in, great place to learn and share.

Bernie Weishapl
04-19-2011, 9:12 PM
Welcome to SMC Cal. Really nice segmented bowl. Thanks for sharing and joining in.

Steve Schlumpf
04-19-2011, 9:29 PM
Cal - Welcome to the Creek! Good looking bowl!

You don't list your location - but highly suggest you get with your local turning club! Folks there enjoy all things turning and would be able to help you out with any questions you have about bowl turning - might even get a few to demo the proper way to use a bowl gouge!

I understand your reluctance in posting your work but please understand that we are all still learning about turning here and love to share what we have figured out. Some of us have been turning longer than others and the turnings reflect that but we are all here to help each other!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Michael James
04-19-2011, 9:43 PM
Howdy new guy from NM! Many of us started out just to make a few pens, and uhhhhhh here we are! Nice piece, and for the record I'm postponing segmented forms until retirement...... Thanks for posting,
mj

David E Keller
04-19-2011, 9:53 PM
Welcome, Cal! That's a good looking bowl, and you've got nothing to be bashful about. There are actually only a couple of talented turners here, but they're nice enough to send pieces to the rest of us to pass off as our own.:D

If you can make a segmented bowl out of dry oak and purpleheart, you may need to send me something that I can pass off as my own!

Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff!

Baxter Smith
04-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Welcome Cal! Having never done a segmented bowl I am no help. The Bill Grumbine DVD on bowls was a big help to me when I first started with bowls as the nearest turning club was a couple of hours away.

John Keeton
04-19-2011, 10:14 PM
Cal, welcome to the creek!! Great intro piece, too. I think you are well on your way from the looks of this bowl - nice work.

Scott Hackler
04-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Welcome to the insanity, Cal! You will quicky find that this is a great group full of great turners. We have every skill level from newbie to pro (and everything inbetween). Ask any questions you can think of (if you need help) and participate as often as you can, in the discussions.

Very nice looking bowl. I like the color contrast.

Greg Just
04-19-2011, 10:46 PM
Welcome to the Creek Cal. Nice bowl. Where in Wisconsin are you?

Jeff Nicol
04-19-2011, 11:23 PM
Cal, Wlcome from one cheeshead to another! If you are close to Eau Claire stop in and see me, I can give you some pointers on anything you want. You are doing well so far and the bowl turned out nice.

Welcome to the Creek,

Jeff

John Hart
04-20-2011, 5:49 AM
Hey there Cal...Welcome to the abyss!!!:)
Yep...we're here to help.

Before long you won't want our help.

....and you'll discard us like a lump of lint.:eek:

I'm so sad.:(

cal thelen
04-20-2011, 7:18 AM
Thanks everyone for warm welcome. Thanks for all the kind comments, I can see i will be spending some time here in the future. Just the little browsing I have done so far i see a few things I am going to want to try. greg I am in the Green Bay area.

Tim Thiebaut
04-20-2011, 7:26 AM
Welcome Cal, I think you are going to enjoy it here a great deal, very friendly and helpful people here. And dont worry about posting your work, there are a lot of us new turners here and we are all still learning.

Jim Burr
04-20-2011, 9:10 AM
Welcome Cal!! After seeing your bowl...I think I'm gonna stop posting:(:o...I sure can't do that

bob svoboda
04-20-2011, 9:10 AM
Welcome, Cal. Your bowl looks great - don't ever hesitate to post your work. I attribute most of my meager progress to help I have gotten on this forum. Looking forward to future postings.

Cathy Schaewe
04-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Excellent job on the bowl - and welcome!

Bill Bulloch
04-20-2011, 10:05 AM
Cal, I carefully scrutinize all the segmented pieces and the only thing I find wrong with your's is that you did not give us the demensions. Good joinery and nice design.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Chip Sutherland
04-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Welcome to the Creek. This is a great forum with great moderators. I frequent 3-4 others but I seem to come back to this one the most. You will great advice and great opinions here. Have no fear about posting anything. Ask for critiques if you want them. You'll get them anyway. We also like to see the mistakes since we all make them. We definitely like the stories that go with them. Definitely find a local turning club if you can. You will find great passion among great friends. My club(s) both have 'open shops' where we encourage newbies to come by and pickup some instruction. Lessons are not a bad idea to learn the fundamentals of handling & sharpening tools, as well as, good form design. Above all be safe. This hobby/avocation can get you hurt. Wear a faceshield not safety glasses. Welcome to the vortex......start saving money.

One rule of etiquette: if you have a gloat (scored some wood, new tool, new lathe, etc.)...it only counts if you post a picture. LOL.