PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Attachment

Cathy Wilson-Daly
04-19-2011, 7:29 PM
Hello....I have had my laser since last summer. This forum has helped me a lot!
I have a problem and hope that someone here can help or advise me. I need to engrave 2 wedding flutes. I do not have a rotary attachment. I asked my sales guy and he quoted me $340 plus freight. I said okay, I'll buy it. An order was placed for the flutes based on that info. Well it happens that the rotary attachment for a VLS4.6 is $ 1,525, I was told the next day. I was also told that Universal Laser will not discount the attachment.
I was doing the job for family because the price to engrave at the store was outrageous.
The questions I have are, 1) can the attachment be bought cheaper and 2) if not, is there someone close to me that can engrave the flutes?

Gary Hair
04-19-2011, 7:56 PM
Rotary attachments are not cheap but I didn't think they were that much, mine had a list price of about $750 I think, but it was included with the laser. I would suggest you find someone to sandcarve them for you, better results and pretty easy to do. I am in Oregon, so it probably would be best to find someone closer.

Gary

Neil Pabia
04-19-2011, 8:00 PM
I'm right over the line in Bridgeport CT, if you want to come by my shop and use mine you are welcome to do so. Not sure where you are but you have the invite if you would like.

Steve Clarkson
04-19-2011, 9:26 PM
Where are you in NY? The City or Upstate?

john passek
04-20-2011, 8:44 AM
Hi Cathy
PM sent

Cathy Wilson-Daly
04-20-2011, 8:50 AM
Thank you for your responses. I am in No. Westchester County.
Neil thank you, Bridgeport is a bit of a ride, but I may take you up on your offer.

greg lindsey
04-20-2011, 9:59 AM
Cathy, did you ask your local sales rep if he had one you could demo for a day or two. I know some of them have access to one.

Belinda Barfield
04-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Cathy,

Since you only have the two flutes to do, why not acid etch them? Cut the stencil with the laser. Pick up a glass etching kit from a craft store. Cheap, and fairly easy to do.

Gary and Jessica Houghton
04-20-2011, 2:32 PM
Hi Cathy,

I called universal and sure enough $1525 was the price. A distributer might be able to get you a better price she said. In my opinion, it's worth the money to invest in one of these. I'm not sure what type of jobs you do or intend to do with your laser, but I use my rotary attachment at the very least once a week. Sometimes as much as once a day with 3-4 different jobs that day. We etch wine bottles, glasses (flutes, wine, drinking, shot, mugs, pilsners), vases, cookie jars, flashlights, mini bats, and the occasional odd object. The attachment will pay for itself if you are charging customers for the work.

Good luck and happy etching!
Jessica Houghton

Martin Boekers
04-20-2011, 2:48 PM
Cathy,

Since you only have the two flutes to do, why not acid etch them? Cut the stencil with the laser. Pick up a glass etching kit from a craft store. Cheap, and fairly easy to do.

Cathy,

This may be the way to go in the meantime. They have an evironmental safe kit that most hobby stores sell for about $20.
The other option is the hobby stores do sell a sand etching kit for about $60 that uses a canned air.

Have the laser cut a stencil and take it from there!

See YouTube videos on these processes.