PDA

View Full Version : Why Do You Spend Your Time & Resources Helping Others?

Brian Kent
04-19-2011, 7:09 PM
I am just curious about people's motivations when they help others. So I thought I would ask…

Why do you volunteer your time for others?

Why do you give of your finances?

Why do you use your gifts and skills for others?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Brian Kent

Jim Koepke
04-19-2011, 8:06 PM
Because that is what people do if they want to be human.

jtk

Shawn Pixley
04-19-2011, 8:15 PM
I grew up poor but ended up doing well. When I had nothing, people helped me. Now I can return the favor.

Or even more simply, it is the right thing to do.

Rod Sheridan
04-19-2011, 8:15 PM
Gee Brian, why don't you just ask for the meaning of life or some other simple question?

My answers would be;

- I believe that we have an obligation to help others, it's the basis of society, so I donate my time.

- I've worked in many countries, and as Warren Buffet said, I've won the ovarian lottery, that's why I have more than I need. It's that simple, if I had been born in the slums of Calcutta, my life would be different. Since it's just luck that I'm fortunate, I help others who weren't so lucky by sharing some of my money.

- I believe that everyone should have the opportunity to develop themselves, if I can provide some mentoring, or some shop space or time, I do so. A good example of this is once per month a groupf of women from a non profit take over my shop and make new kitchen cupboard doors. They've gone from zero skills to measuring, cutting, edge banding, drilling and installation.

Regards, Rod.

Brian Kent
04-19-2011, 9:33 PM
;)
Gee Brian, why don't you just ask for the meaning of life or some other simple question?

I'll have to work my way up slowly to that one.

Dave Gaul
04-19-2011, 10:01 PM
I probably don't do it enough, but when I do, I do it because I know I am more fortunate than others. I worked hard to get where I am, but I feel I was fairly successful at a young age, so I try to give back to those who need it.

I often donate to things that deal with cancer, as I've lost many to cancer, as well as other causes.

I give blood as often as I can. It's the right thing to do.

Jeff Nicol
04-19-2011, 10:33 PM
As long as I can remember I have been offering help to people with whatever was needed and I was able to help, be it with money, skills or an ear to listen to the trials and tribulations on someones mind. Like already said, it should be part of being human and sharing, helping, mentoring, giving or whatever you want to call it should make you feel good inside and bring a feeling of accomplishment no matter how large or small the deed was. I figure you get what you give so I hope to make it to the promised land or heaven or that big workshop in the sky, but the payment will have been the smiles, hugs and thank yous recieved over the years.

Today I spent 4 hours demonstrating my McNaughton coring tool on a big cherry burl that was just beautiful and I did not want to mess it up by making a nice funnel! We got 3 nice bowls and a small one that had a crack through the pith so not bad and he was happy with the demo and will buy one for himself soon. He offered to pay me for my time, but I told him it was a pleasure to help him and if he ever needed any more info to give me a call. It is a good feeling at the end of the day!

Make someone smile,

Jeff

mickey cassiba
04-19-2011, 10:56 PM
Hmm...where to start? First and foremost, giving what aid or comfort I can, to someone less fortunate, always gives me a warm fuzzy, however doing it for that reason alone, makes it self serving. I have been fortunate over the last few decades to be gainfully employed, and at times well paid. I did not miss an opportunity to 'pay it forward', whether by dropping change in a cup, helping out at local homeless centers(all over the country), or yeah, to be cliche, helping old ladies across the street. That is what separates 'humans',from the other two-legged creatures that inhabit our world. Now that I am unemployed, I have less to give, but more time to give it. While I am actively seeking work, I do find a lot of time to visit the local Veteran's Home. Again, this may be self serving, because I get a great deal of pleasure seeing the smiles of the old guys, tucked away, out of sight and out of mind.
I guess my answer has to be,'It makes me feel good'

Vicki Hayden
04-20-2011, 1:04 AM
I am ashamed to say that I used to be very stingy as a child and on into my 20's. I hadn't been taught to share. I was an only child and there was no one I had to share my stuff with. And no, I wasn't spoiled, just didn't have to share. As I matured I realized from watching positive role models that sharing/giving was very rewarding. I started to do it and it was a big boost to my self esteem. Now I do it for all the reasons mentioned above: others were kind and gave to me when I needed it, it's the "right" thing to do, I'm blessed with a good job and can aford to give, I like the "pay it forward" theory. God bless all those how give/share/donate.

Larry Edgerton
04-20-2011, 6:50 AM
Actually now that you made me think about it, I would have to say the reason that I help people is somewhat selfish. I would like to say it is out of the goodness of my heart, but I know that it is that feeling inside that I am after, so I guess it is selfishness of a sorts.

I don't give to any organizations with the exception of the Salvation Army and the local food bank. Those are the only two that demonstrate good use of my hard earned money consistantly. Beside, my 78 year old mother runs the local food bank. Hard to say no.

I tend to try to help people that would not ask. You know, god helps those who help themselves, and so I just go along with that philosophy.

Many years ago, one man made a profound difference in my life. I was hitchhikeing back from California, not because I was broke, but just for kicks, and I left in the summer and stayed too long. I was into the cold before I got back. I got to a little intersection close to Fife Lake Michigan, out in the middle of nowhere, and only 60 miles from my home. Middle of the night, and a snowstorm hits. I don't have a coat, not even a sweater, and the wind is whipping this snow like crazy. I have no money because I was robbed in Tenn. and this is long before ATM's came to be. After a couple of hours I am starting to get hypothermia, shaking bad. I am at a fork in the road and what few cars did come by I tried to hitch a ride, no matter what way they were going. No luck.

Finally a car stops. He says he is on his way to Traverse City, but he will go a little out of his way. He gives me a ride in to Fife Lake, pulls up to a Motel, hands me $20, says that should get you a room and breakfast. I ask him for his address as I had money in the bank in Petoskey and he says......

"No. Just pass it on."

For 35 years I have never forgotten that man or his somple words and try to live up to his standards.

There is a whole industry out there that trys to define how you should give. For me it needs to be a little more personal.

Larry

Dan Hintz
04-20-2011, 6:56 AM
I am ashamed to say that I used to be very stingy as a child and on into my 20's. I hadn't been taught to share. I was an only child and there was no one I had to share my stuff with. And no, I wasn't spoiled, just didn't have to share. As I matured I realized from watching positive role models that sharing/giving was very rewarding. I started to do it and it was a big boost to my self esteem. Now I do it for all the reasons mentioned above: others were kind and gave to me when I needed it, it's the "right" thing to do, I'm blessed with a good job and can aford to give, I like the "pay it forward" theory. God bless all those how give/share/donate.
Just replace Vicki's name with mine and you pretty much nailed my story. I was a selfish little snot in my younger years, but somewhere along the way I just started holding open doors for women, saying "ma'am" and "sir", etc. I get a thrill when someone learns a new trick from me, even if it took me days/weeks/months to master myself.

Rich Engelhardt
04-20-2011, 7:10 AM
I am just curious about people's motivations when they help others.
'cause I've been hung out to dry a lot in my life....
Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Belinda Barfield
04-20-2011, 7:26 AM
"To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children. To leave the world a better place. To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Words I try to live by. When I was 14 or so I started playing piano for a local nursing home's Thursday night prayer service. Some nights a pastor was there and shared a sermon, other nights we just sang hymns. I guess that was really the start of my "giving". My mother really didn't have friends when I was growing up and consequently I never learned how to be a good friend. I try, but I usually fail. Volunteering is a way for me to interact with others and try to improve my social skills. I don't volunteer as much as I would like to due to my long work hours. I don't have a lot of extra cash, but when I can donate the money goes to the Salvation Army or the American Cancer Society. I also try to help out those furry and with four legs by donating to the local animal shelter. I can't volunteer there because I don't have enough room to the them all home with me.

Chris Damm
04-20-2011, 7:28 AM
Because it's the right thing to do!

John Pratt
04-20-2011, 9:39 AM
Because, for the most part, that is how I was raised. I donate a tremendous amount of time to Habitat for Humanity and other charitable organizations because I have the ability to do so. The simple things like holding a door open or helping someone I see struggling with a package are the things that make me feel the best (especially when a simple thank you is offered in return), even though I was raised that these things are expected of good people. My Grandfather was a huge influence on me and his philosophy was that even after he was gone and his name was mentioned, people would say, “That was the kindest, most honest, most generous person I have ever met.” He has been gone for 15 years now and people still use those words to describe him. In their latter years, my grandparents were audited every year for 12 years. The IRS could not believe that they could spend and donate more money than they took in that year. Their response was that they had been blessed in life and it was their opportunity to give back.
I don’t think I have an “obligation” to donate to charities or people (with the exception of Wounded Warrior Project because I am retired from the Army and those soldiers earned it), but I do feel a sense of responsibility as a human being to give back if I have the ability to do so. I do think it is a personal choice and I don’t look down on those who choose not to, that is their choice.

Jerome Hanby
04-20-2011, 10:34 AM
It is a purely selfish act to make myself feel like I'm a "good" person. Another term might be altruism, but practically all altruism is based in self deception, and in this very specific case, I have clarity.

Jim Rimmer
04-20-2011, 1:54 PM
Selfish might not be the "right" word but I can't think of another. To see the smile of a child or an old person, to see a hungry person get to eat at least once today, to receive the thanks of an elderly person that can no longer do some things for themselves gives me such a good feeling, I don't know how I could not do it. I give financially to organizations that LOML and I have carefully selected and we give to our church because God said to give. The blessings returned from all of this is so special I couldn't imagine not doing these things.

I serve as a Greeter at our church one Sunday each month and fortunately have the door where most of the elderly folks enter. They are always thankful and friendly but the thing that really amazes me is to see how much difficulty some of them have physically but each Sunday they get up, get dressed, and go to church. Wheel chairs, walkers, oxygen tanks, etc.; it makes the difficulties in my life seem small indeed.

mike holden
04-20-2011, 1:56 PM
I help because it make me feel good......and because my mom would approve.
Mike

Rod Sheridan
04-20-2011, 2:15 PM
What am I learning in this thread?

Well, no surprise, I'm learning that you folks are caring and generous, something that's not in abundance in our society..........Regards, Rod.

mickey cassiba
04-20-2011, 4:08 PM
I understand that a lot of folks are unwilling to help out 'street people'. You know the ones, they hang out at intersections and truck stops, panhandling.
Many are pretty ragged looking, and some are obviously professional beggars. I do donate, when I'm able...many of these souls have deep psychological problems, and are unable, or unwilling, to seek help. I fully understand that when I drop a little change, that a good many of them will head off to the liquor store or local drug dealer...but that is on them, not me. In my area, nearly every major intersection is occupied by someone asking for a handout. A good many of them are obviously disabled, many are amputees, who for reasons unknown to me, are ineligible for aid through the normal channels. About a mile from my house, there is a guy that sells newspapers from his wheelchair. When he's out there(he misses days) I have no problem paying five bucks for a seventy five cent paper.

Larry Edgerton
04-20-2011, 5:36 PM
I understand that a lot of folks are unwilling to help out 'street people'. You know the ones, they hang out at intersections and truck stops, panhandling.
Many are pretty ragged looking, and some are obviously professional beggars. .

Ha! I went down to help out when Katrina hit and ended up in Florida eventually. There was a fellow working a corner every day in a wheelchair, and if the light hit us right we would flip him a fiver. After a week or so we were in an alley not too far from the intersection working on a powerline truck and here comes this same fellow, pushing the wheelchair in front of him.:)

He didn't get any more fivers.......

Another thing I experianced when down for Katrina. We went to New Orleans first. We had to have gaurds at the trucks because the locals would steal all of the electric line supplies out of the side bins of the trucks. They had no clue what they were for, and they were of no use for scrap, but they woul;d steal us blind at the drop of a hat.

After about three days the company owner had enough. He told FEMA to find us someplace else to work. They sent us to East Texas around Orange and North, and it was totally different. These were hard hit, hard working people without a lot of money, but tons of pride. Nothing was stolen, and they were the nicest people that you could ever hope to meet. It was a pleasure to help them get their power back on. I had many a great homecooked meal there that was brought out when we were working close to a house about dinner time. It was appreciated as we were working 16 hr days seven days a week. Made us feel we were not so far away from home.

These kind of experiances are why I only help those who will help themselves. The ones that feel they are entitled to help can get it somewhere else.

mickey cassiba
04-20-2011, 7:12 PM
Ha! I went down to help out when Katrina hit and ended up in Florida eventually. There was a fellow working a corner every day in a wheelchair, and if the light hit us right we would flip him a fiver. After a week or so we were in an alley not too far from the intersection working on a powerline truck and here comes this same fellow, pushing the wheelchair in front of him.:)

He didn't get any more fivers.......

Another thing I experianced when down for Katrina. We went to New Orleans first. We had to have gaurds at the trucks because the locals would steal all of the electric line supplies out of the side bins of the trucks. They had no clue what they were for, and they were of no use for scrap, but they woul;d steal us blind at the drop of a hat.

After about three days the company owner had enough. He told FEMA to find us someplace else to work. They sent us to East Texas around Orange and North, and it was totally different. These were hard hit, hard working people without a lot of money, but tons of pride. Nothing was stolen, and they were the nicest people that you could ever hope to meet. It was a pleasure to help them get their power back on. I had many a great homecooked meal there that was brought out when we were working close to a house about dinner time. It was appreciated as we were working 16 hr days seven days a week. Made us feel we were not so far away from home.

These kind of experiances are why I only help those who will help themselves. The ones that feel they are entitled to help can get it somewhere else.

Your experiences are pretty sorry, and I admit, there are a lot of scam artists out there. I'ts not my job to sort them out...God'll(or Karma, if you will)will take care of that. There are a lot of unfortunates out there, and I've even had a few humorous experiences. My favorite is an older man who lived in the street in Casa Grande, AZ. If you took the time to talk with him, he seemed quite educated, however, for his own reasons, he was homeless. He never tried to quote any misfortune, rather he would explain that he needed a buck or two, 'cause he and the little dog who accompanied him were thirsty...and the dog preferred beer. He was a regular fixture in town for many years, and then disappeared.

Belinda Barfield
04-20-2011, 7:20 PM
There was an older gentleman who worked the off ramp of I-95. His sign simply said "need help". He could barely walk. I passed him by on a number of days but then I started to notice that he would get money, hobble to a nearby convenience store with a Subway inside. He always walked away with a foot long sub, a bag of ice, and a few sodas. This was at the height of summer. He didn't stand on his corner all day, just until he made enough to feed himself for the day. I take this off ramp at all times of the day and he was only there around lunchtime. So I started giving him whatever I had in my pocket on any given day. After a few months he disappeared and I've wondered often what happened to him.

Art Mulder
04-20-2011, 7:21 PM
Brian,

I find it very hard to answer this question without violating the "no religion" clause of the TOS...

- Because I think Rick Warren was bang on when he began his book (http://www.amazon.com/Purpose-Driven-Life-Rick-Warren/dp/0310205719) with the line "It's not about you."
- Because I think we're supposed to.
- Because I've never missed the money I've tithed to various causes. Quite the opposite in fact, I've been very well blessed.
- Because when I get over my original shyness I usually find it quite enjoyable/satisfying/uplifting.
- Because I want my kids to see my example and take it to heart.
- Because it helps me develop the kind of character that I want to have.

Mike Henderson
04-20-2011, 7:24 PM
I came from a very poor family and was helped by many people, in many ways, to be able to achieve what I have today. It's only right that I should do what I can to help the next generation - so that a boy or girl in similar circumstances today has a similar opportunity.

Mike

Larry Edgerton
04-20-2011, 8:06 PM
Your experiences are pretty sorry, and I admit, there are a lot of scam artists out there. I'ts not my job to sort them out...God'll(or Karma, if you will)will take care of that. There are a lot of unfortunates out there, and I've even had a few humorous experiences. My favorite is an older man who lived in the street in Casa Grande, AZ. If you took the time to talk with him, he seemed quite educated, however, for his own reasons, he was homeless. He never tried to quote any misfortune, rather he would explain that he needed a buck or two, 'cause he and the little dog who accompanied him were thirsty...and the dog preferred beer. He was a regular fixture in town for many years, and then disappeared.

There was a fella that had a sign that said:

"Why lie? Need money for beer."

I gave him money once in a while just because he was honest.......

mickey cassiba
04-20-2011, 8:24 PM
There was a fella that had a sign that said:

"Why lie? Need money for beer."

I gave him money once in a while just because he was honest.......
Wow...I think he may have come south for the winter...we had a guy in downtown McAllen with a sign that read much the same thing. He's gone now, maybe he's headed back up yoor way:)

Bryan Morgan
04-21-2011, 12:36 AM
Balance. I come to forums like this and get help with things I don't know too much about (woodworking) and in return I try to help with things I know a lot about (computers, networks). I rarely give money to anyone, its just my personal policy that gets political so I won't expand on it here.

Bob Riefer
04-21-2011, 2:24 PM
I'll give the opposite perspective for a minute because it's recent and involves a creeker. I was on the receiving end of a time/wisdom donation very recently. A member of this board has spent about 6 hours with me giving me a shop tour and answering ridiculous amounts of questions that I ask, and coming to my shop and teaching me how to fine tune my equipment and checking my workflow etc. Other than a cup of coffee and a hand shake, he really got "nothing" out of it. But, I can foresee that there will be a point in time where I can mentor someone, and I'll look forward to doing so.

Dan Hintz
04-21-2011, 2:58 PM
Other than a cup of coffee and a hand shake, he really got "nothing" out of it.
I disagree... he got nothing of material value (other than the coffee). But I guarantee you he got something intangible out of it.