PDA

View Full Version : Customer Service

Paul Ryan
04-19-2011, 6:39 PM
Too often the only occasion the customer service of a business is talked about or commented about is when something bad has happened, or if a consumer needs to vent about some reason they feel they were wronged.

I dont see enough posts or comments about how good the customer service a business has.

Well every time I deal with Lee Valley they are great. And recently I think they have gotten even better. They never dissapoint me and are always willing to go the extra mile to take care of a customer. Thanks again to Lee Valley

Gary Hodgin
04-19-2011, 7:22 PM
I share what I think is his never disappoint sentiment about LV and agree that we should let folks know about good customer service more often.

ray hampton
04-19-2011, 7:32 PM
thanking the stores for their polite service to their customers will help

Ken Fitzgerald
04-19-2011, 8:20 PM
I will remind everyone that uncivil attitudes will not be tolerated.

Zahid Naqvi
04-19-2011, 8:37 PM
and please keep in mind not everyone on this board has English as their first language, sometimes you have to read between the lines to get to the gist of the message.

Andrew Pitonyak
04-19-2011, 11:13 PM
I have had great CS experiences at many places, for example:

Lie Nielsen too significant time to answer questions on the telephone.
Dewalt sent a replacement part without proof of purchase for a planer table that I ordered from Amazon.
I had a great customer service experience with Amazon when a bulk order had a few broken bottles.
Milwaukee answered customer service questions in one day.
I received a person response from the owner of Private Preserve with my questions. I wanted to know if I could use "Private Preserve" for wine for keeping things such as Waterlox preserved. Based on the ingredients and such, I expect that it will perform the same as a more expensive product.
When I had a problem with an out of warranty digital device from Wexley, I received an email response the same day (Sunday) and they mailed a replacement part for free.

Notice that I did not even mention local stores such as my local Woodcraft and Rockler where service has been exceptional.

I could mention some poor experiences, but, no reason.

Gene Howe
04-20-2011, 9:32 AM
I've had excellent service from Peachtree, MLCS, LV, Delta (a nice lady talked me through a problem with a new planer), Suffolk Machinery (The owner spent a half hour helping me select a resaw band saw blade for some troublesome wood) , Shopsmith, Stockroom Supply, Jamestown Distributors and Harbor Freight, to name a few. And, I can't say enough good things about Scott's Sharpening Service in Glendale, AZ.
All in all, my recent experiences with manufacturers and suppliers has been very pleasurable and hassle free. There are companies that I can't comment on because I've never had an issue with their products. PC, Tenryu and Bosch, comes to mind.

John Nesmith
04-20-2011, 10:06 AM
I recently had another great experience with Mcmaster Carr. I was interested in a round pan that I could use to clean/soak circular saw blades. They had one with an 11.5" top opening, but the pan tapered to a smaller diameter at the bottom. I wasn't sure if it reduced down to less than 10", so I emailed them to ask for the diameter at the bottom of the pan. Someone replied in less than an hour, and explained that they could not take the measurement, so they were sending me one for free. (I guess it is being drop-shipped)

David Weaver
04-20-2011, 11:12 AM
I don't think mcmaster drop ships much. I *understand* (but have never seen) that a lot of their picking is automated. That may have kept them from looking.

I have had superb experience with mcmaster. 99% of the time, the order is at my local warehouse, and i get it the day after I ordered with shipping charges less than it would cost me to print a shipping label (let alone the box).

Like everyone else, I've never had a stitch of trouble with LV or LN, though I've unintentionally taken advantage of LN more when I called to try to get advice or buy something for a tool I'd bought used and not from them. I know LV supports their used ones, too, saw it straight from Rob.

It is remarkable that both LN and LV offer tools the quality that they offer in combination with the service and the price.

Derek Gilmer
04-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Here are some of the best places I've worked with.
1. Lee Valley - had a cabinet pull that was mis labeled from the factory. LV sent a replacement part out asap with no questions asked.
2. Dewalt - shipped a free replacement sent of planer blades for my dw735 after a pine knot chipped the blades, no questions asked.
3. Hitachi - shipped free replacment parts for a miter saw I had and used next day UPS, no questions asked.

Kevin Womer
04-20-2011, 5:55 PM
Lee Valley, Steel City, Woodcraft-online, McMaster-Carr all have been very good when I have approached them with problems I have had, I can't say enough about each of them.

Paul McGaha
04-21-2011, 6:11 AM
As far as really good customer service I'd add Oneida Air to the list.

I get good service from a lot of firms really. Toolsplus, Groff and Groff Lumbar, My local Woodcraft (Leesburg, VA), Woodpecker, Lee Valley, Rockler. I would say these are the firms I use the most and have been serviced well from all of them.

PHM

Hans Braul
04-21-2011, 6:19 AM
Grizzly. I've only bought a jointer from them, but when I found the fence was out of flat they fell all over themselves to correct the problem promptly at no cost to me. I'm a happy camper.
Hans

Ellen Lewis
04-21-2011, 6:31 AM
I'd like to add Bosch to the list of good guys. When I had a problem with my new Bosch SCMS, the tech support was excellent and parts were sent out in a timely fashion. One tech even went over to a saw in their tech area and reproduced my problem so he diagnose it properly.

John Nesmith
04-21-2011, 7:33 AM
I don't think mcmaster drop ships much. I *understand* (but have never seen) that a lot of their picking is automated. That may have kept them from looking.

Good point. That would explain it.