PDA

View Full Version : Source for small cup center?

Paul Erickson
04-19-2011, 4:04 PM
Anyone know a source for a small cup center with a 1/4" diameter cup? I know they exist, or used to exist because one of the chisel handles I am replacing clearly shows the imprint of one on the end of the tenon. I would like to find one, because using a conical live center results in the end splitting even with considerable care.

Thanks in advance.

cheers, Paul

Art Kelly
04-19-2011, 5:11 PM
I looked around and didn't see any jumping off the pages.

If I absolutely, positively had to have one soon, I'd make it.

If you have something like a Woodcraft "Pro Live Center Set" you could take the little alignment pin (upper right in first picture) that comes with it and chuck it into your headstock. Put a Dremel grinder point in a fixed Jacobs chuck on the tailstock, and grind a hollow in the end of the alignment pin (the end that does NOT go into the live center). You might first have to dress the grinder point a little finer to get a deeper cup.

I haven't checked mine, but that alignment pin may be soft enough to hollow with a drill bit. I'd use a center drill for better accuracy.

If you have a live Jacobs chuck for your tailstock, the possibilities are endless. Use drill rod. Or steel tubing like brake-line tubing.

Paul Williams
04-19-2011, 6:19 PM
Penn State has one 5/16" in there 4 piece drive center set. Also in their 9 piece tailstock center set. Did not see one by itself.

Jim Burr
04-19-2011, 6:55 PM
I'm just curious what you would use that for Paul...I always like new thoughts/ideas even if my skill isn't up to it.

Paul Erickson
04-19-2011, 7:32 PM
I'm just curious what you would use that for Paul...I always like new thoughts/ideas even if my skill isn't up to it.

Hi Jim,

I am turning some socket chisel handles, and like to shape and fit the handle tenon into the chisel socket at the beginning of the process rather than hand fitting at the end when the rest of the shape has been formed. Does that make sense?

cheers, Paul

Paul Erickson
04-19-2011, 7:34 PM
I looked around and didn't see any jumping off the pages.

If I absolutely, positively had to have one soon, I'd make it.

If you have something like a Woodcraft "Pro Live Center Set" you could take the little alignment pin (upper right in first picture) that comes with it and chuck it into your headstock. Put a Dremel grinder point in a fixed Jacobs chuck on the tailstock, and grind a hollow in the end of the alignment pin (the end that does NOT go into the live center). You might first have to dress the grinder point a little finer to get a deeper cup.

I haven't checked mine, but that alignment pin may be soft enough to hollow with a drill bit. I'd use a center drill for better accuracy.

If you have a live Jacobs chuck for your tailstock, the possibilities are endless. Use drill rod. Or steel tubing like brake-line tubing.

Hi Art,

Thanks for the reply. I do have a Nova live center set, and may see if I can talk one of my friends who has a metal lathe to turn an appropriate insert for me. Just wanted to see if one was available commercially before I hit them up for a favour.

cheers, Paul

David E Keller
04-19-2011, 7:53 PM
Paul, you might look at a steb center... It should allow you to do what you're describing without splitting the tenon. Sorby makes one that's fairly expensive, and I believe that PSI sells one that's a little cheaper.

Tim Thiebaut
04-19-2011, 7:58 PM
I turned my own out of a piece of Osage Orange, it slips over the existing center, I actauly made several different ones out of OO for different uses, something to think about if you need it ASAP.

Art Kelly
04-20-2011, 6:04 PM
I turned my own out of a piece of Osage Orange, ...

I've never turned any OO. I guess it's hard? I guess marblewood might work, too?

Bob Vallaster
04-20-2011, 8:14 PM
Craft Supplies USA has one for their revolving center: item H at this page http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Lathe_Accessories___Revolving_Centers___Revolving_ Center_System___pm_rev_center?Args=
Although I do not have that accessory, I have used this revolving system for 10+ years and recommend it as versatile, durable and good bang-for-the-buck.

BobV

dan carter
04-20-2011, 8:27 PM
Sounds like you want a delta dead center. if you can use a morse taper #2, here you go. packard woodworks sells them for 19.95
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=packard&Product_Code=SP46-439&Category_Code=

Tim Thiebaut
04-20-2011, 8:28 PM
I've never turned any OO. I guess it's hard? I guess marblewood might work, too?

I think that any decent hardwood will work just fine, I have been useing mine for 3 months or so all the time and it would be tough to get along without them, they work great. As I said I turned 3-4 different styles but primaraly use 2 of them the most.

Ryan Baker
04-21-2011, 9:22 PM
Craft Supplies USA has one for their revolving center: item H at this page http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Lathe_Accessories___Revolving_Centers___Revolving_ Center_System___pm_rev_center?Args=
Although I do not have that accessory, I have used this revolving system for 10+ years and recommend it as versatile, durable and good bang-for-the-buck.

BobV

+1. I have that center and the 1/4" cup center. Works great. You can also make your own tips for it too (easily).